Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By penguinsix

Wordpress help?

Closed Thread

Wordpress help?

Just wondering if there are any wordpress experts on here?

I have a working website currently. As I have minimal knowledge in this area... I have been taking advices here and there and created my website pretty much by changing the html in the .php files, as opposed to actually building my site up using the wordpress platform. So now when I try to add pages or make modifications on wordpress.. nothing actually happens.

I was wondering if it is possible to start over, this time through wordpress at the same time... without having to suspend my current website?

Many thanks in advance! Any help would be appreciated!

There's a plugin call theme switch which can let you test your development theme while leaving the current theme up and running.

However you do need to know some PHP and wordpress theme structure and wordpress common tags in order to do develop your own theme.

Why are you building your own pages in html/php? You should install Wordpress, add the plugins and themes that you want, and then start building 'pages' within the wordpress structure / system. Far easier that way.

What is it exactly that you want from your website anyway? Is it some relatively simple content that displays a few things? Maybe you could just add wordpress into a folder, like /blog/ or /news/ and run wordpress in that environment but keep your existing website as the 'main' pages. Or are you trying to replace everything and start with a new website?

A wordpress install takes about 10 minutes or so. It's not long. Unless you have 10,000 visitors a day most folks won't notice a brief outage to install wordpress.

shiv_d likes this.