Like Tree2Likes

Need help with buying computer parts

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need help with buying computer parts

Hi all, I am travelling to Hong Kong next week for a month from Ireland. I am planning to build my first computer so I decided to get the parts in Hong Kong because of great price and selections.

First of here is the build I am planning to go for. I was using newegg to get a general ideal. Advice will be greatly appreciated Also note I am not looking to build a high end system. But 5000 to 7000 HKD would be ideal. I did not include the case below because I plan to buy one when I'm back in Ireland and so I don't have to bring a computer case with me.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8G

GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD drive: Newegg.com - ASUS DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

All these parts gives me a subtotal of: $849.93(US Dollar)

Secondly I would like to know the price in HKD. I know prices are not set in stone but if someone can give me a general price range for this build in HKD. That would be fantastic I have been to areas such as Sham Shui Po and once or twice to Mong Kok Computer Centre but never bought any computer parts from any of these places so advice on buying computer parts would be nice

Finally is carrying the parts over to Ireland. What will be the best way to do so in case of not damaging any of the components and will there be any problems when bringing computer parts through customs?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

Price.com.hk should help.

Sure it's a good idea?
    Are you going to assemble and test the machine while you're in HKG?
    What happens if something doesn't work/breaks?

Is the selection so limited in Ireland?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinForce:
    Secondly I would like to know the price in HKD. I know prices are not set in stone but if someone can give me a general price range for this build in HKD. That would be fantastic I have been to areas such as Sham Shui Po and once or twice to Mong Kok Computer Centre but never bought any computer parts from any of these places so advice on buying computer parts would be nice
    Jumbo Computer Supplies -> hover over the buttons to see what's behind
    Centralfield Computer Ltd. - 電腦產品銷售商 -> select components via the "DYI" button

Finally is carrying the parts over to Ireland. What will be the best way to do so in case of not damaging any of the components ...
    Keep in their original packaging. Shipping them bubble-wrapped and boxed by post/EMS might be better than hand-carrying.

... and will there be any problems when bringing computer parts through customs?
    For importing goods into Ireland you should check with the Irish customs.

In theory not a bad idea, but a few issues you should think about:

- Warranty? I presume most of the parts will only have local warranty. What happens if something fails or needs repair?

- Customs & Excise when you get back into Eire? OK chances are unlikely, but just be warned you may have to pay duty on all the parts you bought.

- I have found often that HK prices are not as cheap as the US or even the UK (once you take into account the various offers and referral sites available in the UK). Have you looked at shipping from the US or other parts of the EU?

- Weight. What is your luggage allowance looking like?

Dude, just go the Wan Chai computer center, go to any of the shops that build computers, read their menus, make an order and they will have it built for you for free the next day - tested and working. That's what I did….until I got tired of keeping up with the performance issues and splurged on a loaded Alienware Aurora…Yes, you read it correctly, the A-U-R-O-R-A, the most kick ass machine ever built.

Wan Chai computer center is a good choice. But beware. Some system builder would tend to promote some unnamed brands. They may be cheap, but have no guarantee on reliability. You'd better choose some well-knowned brands which is widely accepted by users, such as asus for motherboard, arctic for cooler, nzxt for case.

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    Dude, just go the Wan Chai computer center, go to any of the shops that build computers, read their menus, make an order and they will have it built for you for free the next day - tested and working. That's what I did….until I got tired of keeping up with the performance issues and splurged on a loaded Alienware Aurora…Yes, you read it correctly, the A-U-R-O-R-A, the most kick ass machine ever built.
    Do you mean to have them test out the parts that I have picked or have them build me the entire computer and take it home with me? I really just want to build my own one myself but if I can test out the parts first that would be great. Sorry if sound completely clueless I'm kind of new to these stuff I have an Alienware myself that I got a few years back but its a laptop the M15X

I have asked around here in Ireland most people said that they never seem to get checked at all when carrying electronic parts either in checked luggage or by hand. My main concern it's really the "What if it doesn't work or faulty parts". The only way around it is that my parents tend to go back somewhat frequently usually around October and February and I could ask to them to bring back the faulty parts but that might not be a good solution.

You need to factor in not just that components might be faulty but also the numerous combinations in which there might be compatibility issues. Seriously, get the parts here.

Personally I wouldn't recommend buying system parts in HK, let alone a near complete setup, unless it's like 30-40% cheaper. But last time I checked the pricewatch back home (Holland for me) the prices here are barely cheaper so definitely not worth it. Another big issue is warranty. Add the hassle of bringing the parts over without damaging them? Not worth it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast