Like Tree13Likes

Microsoft Surface - ipad competitor?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Aren't any decent ultrabooks on sale though....and they suck for reading books/papers etc on a commute. W8Pro Surface is an ultrabook with an optional keyboard...can only be better!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Not as simple as that.
    Let's take this case (happens to me all the time).
    I have a nicely formatted and/or semi complex document (word or excel generally).
    I'd like to make a minor edit to it on the go, without messing up the original formatting/formulae which had been carefully crafted on a desktop.

Guess what, it can't be done!
    respectfully i would submit that your carefully crafted document is likely far more worked-up / beefed up than the average joe would do

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    respectfully i would submit that your carefully crafted document is likely far more worked-up / beefed up than the average joe would do
    when did being OCD become a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    Yeah but it's his documents that matter to him..

You have to feel bad for the poor guy doing this demo

I'm really excited about this. I think it's what they call 'a game changer'. A real computer in tablet form with a real keyboard and stylus.
    I've run a Galaxy Tab right now because I prefer being able to do what I want with my data and can't stand the restrictions associated with the iTunes/iCloud lock-in. But this... is really something to think about, especially if Win 8 can run real applications like Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    You have to feel bad for the poor guy doing this demo
    see! the MS Surface is great. When it crashes, just grab another one from behind the counter and you are off running again within the blink of an eye (a very slow blink). And what's great is we even built in cloud sync so that you can resume where your last Surface crashed. We are on top of things now!
    elle likes this.

I think that video says it all doesn't it? I find it remarkable the level of
    confidence some on this board have in Microsoft to come out with anything like a user friendly, well designed software and hardware interface. I don't doubt that there will be an iPad killer at some point, but surface seems to be a niche product at best. I admit I am a longtime Mac user and Apple fanboy, but can anyone name one piece of Microsoft operating software or hardware they've produced in the past decade that they were really satisfied with?

You need to get some perspective, or at least some experience with Microsoft products. Windows 7 and the current server platform are perfectly usable OSes as is Exchange 2010.

That said, I am also sceptical of the Surface because of Microsoft's long running tradition of screwing up user interface design.

Quote Originally Posted by fraxbo:
    I think that video says it all doesn't it? I find it remarkable the level of
    confidence some on this board have in Microsoft to come out with anything like a user friendly, well designed software and hardware interface. I don't doubt that there will be an iPad killer at some point, but surface seems to be a niche product at best. I admit I am a longtime Mac user and Apple fanboy, but can anyone name one piece of Microsoft operating software or hardware they've produced in the past decade that they were really satisfied with?
    Xbox and Xbox 360?