Like Tree13Likes

Microsoft Surface - ipad competitor?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Microsoft Surface - ipad competitor?

Could it be the One?

Looking forward to release

I was never a big Apple fan, but the truth of the matter is that it really doesn't matter what Microsoft releases now...they're late to the party. It's going to be difficult to nearly impossible to gain a significant market share in the tablet market away from Apple's dominance. The real issue is "content" the smartest thing Apple ever did had nothing to do with their "technological innovation" but everything to do with securing media licenses for iTunes. Once the customers are committed into the iTunes trap, the switch to another platform becomes a nearly unthinkable hassle. In addition, those who decide to fully Apple integrate via MacBook, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV, TimeCapsule will find the convenience, ease of use and stability enough of a reason to continue to pay premium for Apple products.

BaconBreadBaker, emx and vroom like this.

The first iteration of the Surface was released in 2008. It was the size of a coffee table and it was interesting to play with, but had an incredibly limited market.

Windows 7 was touted by Microsoft as being optimised for tablet/touch screen use, and it was a complete flop on these platforms. They're saying the same thing about Windows 8, but I am certainly not holding my breath. If I want an iPad competitor, it'd be one of the dozens of already proven Android alternatives out there.

Original Post Deleted
    Likewise.

At least with Android devices you get the Google Play store - save for the bloody stupid name it does at least give access to the majority of useful things one might need. I HATE itunes.

They picked the name 'Surface'? <FACEPALM>

Quote Originally Posted by jw1701:
    They picked the name 'Surface'? <FACEPALM>
    I concur. How uninspiring can you get.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile

Looking forward to it, will be glad to get rid of my last Apple device (iPad 3rd gen). Had a galaxy tab 10.1 for a while but it was utter crap. Had only bad experiences with android phones as well.

Love the Nokia Lumia 800 and looking forward to future windows phone/surface/desktop/xbox/skype/kinect integration. You can finally get decent Wintel MacBook air machines now. Taken people a long time to catch up, but at least there are options coming through.

"Surface" now refers to the product group, so the table sized thing has been renamed.

I think the Ace in Microsoft's sleeve is the same as it has been for the past 15 years, Office.
    With the "Surface Tab" (for the sake of clarity), I'm sure you will be able to run the full office suite, in it's proper form. This is a killer app. None of the office clones stack up to the real office, sure, you may be able to read documents OK with your Android or iOS device, but can you edit them?
    The answer is no, if you answer yes you are deluding yourself - the quality of the output from the iOS and Android apps is atrocious.

I, for one, welcome the new heavyweight to the ring.

Background, my primary phone is running Android (4.0.4), love it.
    I've also got a Windows 7.5 phone, perfect for people who don't want to tinker/customise.
    I also have an ipad, a fantastic media consumption device.

I can see the new Microsoft Surface Tab fitting in as a laptop replacement, tablet device that is geared towards creation, rather than stopping at consumption.
    Yes, the iPad supports bluetooth and all that, but it's an after-thought compared to this new device.

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft may still manage to screw this up, but I'm hoping they don't.

(Just wait for Surface 2.0, made by Nokia - drooool)

for stupid names, you can not get worse than wii u, don't forget ipad was considered a silly name, some people joked by calling it i(ncontinence) pad

Office is MS's saving point for why people will flock to the surface? Lol... That's the best thing I've read all day. There's plenty of office alternatives that let you read and edit office documents, and output them perfectly fine.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast