Like Tree3Likes

Home Network and VPN service

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home Network and VPN service

Question about the various pay VPN services (Witopia, HideMyAss, etc.) set up to work with a home network.

Can you set up your home router to run the paid VPN service and allow all wifi-enabled devices connected to said router to access the internet via the VPN?

Or do you have to buy the VPN subscription for each device individually?

Yes, if your router supports it. Never tried with the awful PCCW Thomson box though.

If your paid VPN solution supports OpenVPN - you should be fine using dd-wrt or tomato firmwares.
    You can configure your router to be an OpenVPN Server or Client - so, you should be fine to route traffic from your LAN to the VPN host via your router through the OpenVPN tunnel
    (quite a mouth full)

huja likes this.

If you are running these devices simultaneously then you will need a separate VPN for each device. What I mean is that some VPN's services do not have multiple device connectivity.

I don't know about your router running the service and others can answer that but I use StrongVPN to use on my computer, pad and phone no problems. They do have an option for additional adddon an existing subscription VPN for $2 extra a month.

They are not the cheapest but it's still only $15 a month. You can get half that elsewhere.

Last edited by virago; 22-06-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Overplay.net (the folks I use) has instructions on how to do that. I generally use their OpenDNS service though which does something somewhat similar.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    You can configure your router to be an OpenVPN Server or Client - so, you should be fine to route traffic from your LAN to the VPN host via your router through the OpenVPN tunnel
    I've tried that pickup line many times at Lan Kwai Fung - without any success.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    I've tried that pickup line many times at Lan Kwai Fung - without any success.
    we'll punch a hole in that firewall yet!

(equally unsucessful pickup line)

we'll punch a hole in that firewall yet!

(equally unsucessful pickup line)
    Only on GeoExpat can a thread about routers, networks and VPN turn blue so quickly. And that's even without the contributions of a long lost Felicitous Feline.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Only on GeoExpat can a thread about routers, networks and VPN turn blue so quickly. And that's even without the contributions of a long lost Felicitous Feline.
    You're saying that like it's a bad thing ...

You're saying that like it's a bad thing ...
    You're only interpreting that I'm saying it like it's a bad thing. After all, I'm the one guilty of starting the moral slide.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast