Like Tree4Likes

Need Information on Terra Byte Drives ?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The only drive that has ever failed on me was a Epson Photoviewer that uses a Hitachi drive. I lost 15G of photos which was unrecoverable. Taught me a valuable lesson - back the F@$* up! and then back that up too. and buy enough compact flash cards so no need to download onto a moving harddrive in the field.

Sorry I was offline earlier. I need one of those external, portable hard drives to store photos and movies.

In that case, just get something with USB3 and looks okay. They really are pretty much all the same.

Some come with bells and whistles like encryption or backup software- depends on you whether this is useful.

cw1483 likes this.

I purchased a 1 terrabyte portable hard drive today. After some research I found out the LaCie is a top of the line brand. I'll try it out this Weekend and let you know what I think. The 2 terrabyte drive was a bit too large for my taste.

Where did you end up going to buy the drive?

It's "terabyte", not "terrabyte" FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    It's "terabyte", not "terrabyte" FFS!
    Thank you for your correction. Everyone on this thread would have continued to dwell in woeful ignorance were it not for your invaluable contribution.
    nobby15 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynexpat:
    I purchased a 1 terrabyte portable hard drive today. After some research I found out the LaCie is a top of the line brand. I'll try it out this Weekend and let you know what I think. The 2 terrabyte drive was a bit too large for my taste.
    thing is Lacie only designs the external enclosure, you don't get to pick the brand of HD they have in it. Before they used Maxtor drives (now owned by Seagate), for me that is THE brand to avoid (YMMV) Sometimes they use Western Digital drives, which is my top pick along with Samsung drives. Personally I'd buy a WD book, at least I'll know what's inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Well you do know what happened the last time the French battled at sea back in 1815
    Actually No. Don't you mean 1805?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynexpat:
    It's a "top of the line" brand in that they have very pretty aluminium cases (a perfectly valid purchasing criteria if aesthetics matter to you). Otherwise, they are just another box that holds a hard drive made by someone else.

The important thing that probably hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that hard drives should be considered unreliable- at some stage, it's probably going to die (you could be lucky and it could run for ten years, or it could blow up tomorrow, there's no way to tell).

If this 1TB drive is your primary data repository, keep a backup of all the data that you consider irreplaceable either on another drive, or on one of the many internet-based backup services.