HKBN international bandwidth speeds?

Closed Thread

HKBN international bandwidth speeds?

Family want the fastest international speeds between HKBN and PCCW using it for USA and UK down and uploads. We are considering 100Mbps HKBN and 100Mbps PCCW. HKBN being significantly cheaper.
    Could the users of these providers (or others) kindly post their performance results from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test USING the USA Boston and any UK servers. There will be variations depending on time of day, etc, so kindly state
    incase you dont know, to select the usa and uk server, go to the little green outlined rectangle on the displayed keyboard icon of the notebook display, and just drag it to USA (east preferably) and UK, then simply click begin test it will select the closest server by default, which will be hkg

Do a search, this topic has been done to death.

For international I reckon PCCW will be better than HKBN.

As I have said before on many occasions...avoid HKBN for overseas (US) bandwith & stick with PCCW.

I use HKBN, Icable & PCCW at the moment and the fastest and most stable of the lot is PCCW. I mainly use HKBN for local streaming, browsing, downloading etc. The only reason I signed up is because they gave me the 1000M connection for under $100.

I have hkbn 100mb and really regret it. It is painfully slow for UK websites. Admittedly I'm only paying $100 a month so what could I expect? it is fast for downloading torrents though... Not that I'd ever do that

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    As I have said before on many occasions...avoid HKBN for overseas (US) bandwith & stick with PCCW.

I use HKBN, Icable & PCCW at the moment and the fastest and most stable of the lot is PCCW. I mainly use HKBN for local streaming, browsing, downloading etc. The only reason I signed up is because they gave me the 1000M connection for under $100.
    JaredHK, what is the PCCW connection you have? be a great help if u can post the uk and Boston USA server speeds from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test for your HKBN and PCCW connection. I am still deciding between the two.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rocketify:
    JaredHK, what is the PCCW connection you have? be a great help if u can post the uk and Boston USA server speeds from Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test for your HKBN and PCCW connection. I am still deciding between the two.

thanks
    Just like post #2 said, do a search. There have been two major threads on this in the past couple of weeks, full of the sort of information you are asking for.

Bloody hell, what is it with the intewebz and spoonfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Just like post #2 said, do a search. There have been two major threads on this in the past couple of weeks, full of the sort of information you are asking for.

Bloody hell, what is it with the intewebz and spoonfeeding?
    only Robert did the speedtest.net and posted results for 1000M PCCW line, and besides location will be a factor in speed variations. Getting the most results for the speedtests will help many decide more decisively which isp to choose, if you don't like the posts, as you obviously don't, then simply ignore these posts and look at other posts of your liking

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:

We are also still deciding so are also interested. The more the merrier. Jared, let us know the performance of PCCW and HKBN for international servers test

Why not test West Coast servers? Shortest path to the US is hitting the West Coast not the East coast, you don't know what is happening to it after it hits the US.

I won't be home for 2 weeks so perhaps someone else can do the speedtests for you. HKBN Speedtests don't matter much as their bandwith is not really consistent. It could be really good at 11pm and drop to a crawl at 2am. There is also a lot of packet loss which causes major problems while gaming.

I do all my US browsing, work etc on a 1000M PCCW line and all my local and unimportant stuff on HKBN. I gave my buddy next door access so he can use it for his heavy downloading as I rarely every use HKBN.