Like Tree1Likes

Color Laser / Multi Function Printer recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Color Laser / Multi Function Printer recommendations?

Looking at replacing a HP multi-function inkjet that has served us well, but is showing signs of age.

Looking for

- Color Printing
    - Networkable ( wired )
    - Duplex Printing
    - Fax / Scan over the network

There are a couple of HP models which meet our budget ( about 5-7K ) but have poor customer reviews.

Any recommendations for non HP brands?

Never tried wired network w/ this printer I have, but it works on wireless. Was looking for duplex 2 years ago along with an established way to install ink tank. Both criteria is crucial for me as I'm a heavy user. There are a lot of hassles when things go wrong. But if you're able to do the ins and outs, ink is virtually free after you pay the initial... ~$900hkd ink along with the printer priced at around $1500hkd for Canon MX876. I printed enough papers to a point the soaking sponge was full and we have to call Canon HK to replace the sponge... after around 8,000 pages.

Choose this option only if you're tech savvy. If you're not, you'll be paying a heck of a lot more than this to have someone fix something minor every 2 months and a down time of at least 4-5 days. The guys in Canon virtually told me to purchase a new printer when they listed $1000 as their fixing fee once warranty was over and the printer has like 2 issue unrelated to the ink system. Chances are you'll need to learn how to re-install the ink system yourself because when the printer's not listening, you may have to send it back to Canon and to do so they request you uninstall the ink system beforehand.

Whenever things go very wrong (happened to me 3 times), I had to spend 10-15hrs learning and fixing it. Now it is okay. Expect this printer to have 1.5 years lifespan if you're a moderately heavy user like I.

If you're not as tech savvy, purchasing non canon ink tank is a lot cleaner but I cannot say whether there are complications with it also as that was not the way I did it. Possible issue will be reading the ink tank chip.
    If the ink tank option is viable, I would have gone back in time and do it this way as it has much less hassle to deal with and clean. But now that I encountered all the possible issue with the ink system method, I will stick with the ink system now.

btw, if there's an option to extend warranty, do it for canon printers in general.

Last edited by Creative83; 19-07-2012 at 12:55 PM.

I have always found the Brother printers to be excellent. Got another one recently - all your specs except not colour so not that helpful for you. But I'd check out their range.

Have been looking at Brother. Thanks for the recommendation.

Brother International - Multifunction Centers - MFC-9970CDW

Actually I agree with Brother as well. I've also had very good experience w/ it where it lasted 5 years. Wasn't my choice 2 years ago because of some limitations.

For inkjets I would caution that the Canon Pixmas get through the ink cartridges at a phenomenal rate (even when you don't do any printing - just switching the machine on uses a significant amount of ink it seems!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    For inkjets I would caution that the Canon Pixmas get through the ink cartridges at a phenomenal rate (even when you don't do any printing - just switching the machine on uses a significant amount of ink it seems!)
    If I go through the 'official protocol' and purchase ink through canon brand ink, I would have paid around $6,000 for the ink & probably another $600 in the next 2 months. Similarly with other brands. There's not much difference. That's why some companies give out free printers and secure their ink tank with a chip, so that they'll make money off the ink.

I agree with the fact that when buying a printer, solution to the ink is 1st priority.
    Last edited by Creative83; 19-07-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Our Brother printer (a small, cheap laser) only ever had the one cartridge. When the cartridge eventually ran out (a few months ago) we replaced the entire printer rather than buy a new cartridge! It turned out that the cartridge was about 70% of the price of a new printer, and since ours was 5 yrs old and it was hard to find cartridges, seemed like a good idea. It all comes down to how much you use it - ours was a convenient yet high quality home standby, most of my printing is done at work.

I just got the HP color laser jet M475DN for my office. Not sure if it has bad reviews but it fits your requirements and budget - and I'm quite satisfied with its performance

pepe - can you scan and fax over the network and also with Windows 7 / Mac?

I cannot figure out if you can scan / fax from the LAN ( our current HP ink printer allows us to do that.. just want to make sure we don't loose functionality ).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast