Like Tree3Likes

downloading torrents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

downloading torrents

Can i get in trouble for downloading a torrent ?
    i have been downloading torrents but recently i read about some old cases where they were caught.
    how risky is it and the possibility of being caught?
    any tips on downloading in HK would be helpful.
    thank you

Technically you can, depending on what you are downloading. However......

I think the people who got caught last time though were seeding rather than downloading.

I haven't heard of a single case in HK of a casual downloader getting into trouble. Please correct me if am wrong.

I thought the point of torrents are that you both download, and seed at the same time. Once something is downloaded to your computer, anyone can then use you as a seed for that part.

Short story: theoretically possible you get in trouble, but highly unlikely

If you are worried about it then dont do it. There are plenty of legal methods to get content. Better safe than sorry and all that stuff.

I've looked into the risks and have decided its worth taking such risks and therefore I have no such worries when I download hundreds of things per month using torrents. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I thought the point of torrents are that you both download, and seed at the same time. Once something is downloaded to your computer, anyone can then use you as a seed for that part.

Short story: theoretically possible you get in trouble, but highly unlikely
    I think the guys who got caught were uploaders, i.e. they had seed farms.

mostly i download contents such as english movies/series , korean drama, pc games and psp games but no contents from hk itself .

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I think the guys who got caught were uploaders, i.e. they had seed farms.
    You can still be identified by your IP address while you are downloading torrents. I don't know who was caught in the past, but the facts are you can be caught currently.

I think the risk is infinitesimal, but it is clearly there.

Only thing I could find (mind you this was a quick two minute google search):

Hong Kong Makes First File-Sharing Arrest - Wikinews, the free news source

Sorry, found another story from 2009:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_d...217&con_type=1

Last edited by pin; 01-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    lemontea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    That's the idea but you can prevent uploads. Makes you a leecher but also keeps you more safe when it comes to the legal side of things; AFAIK downloading for private use is allowed (or at least tolerated) but not distribution (by means of uploading/seeding).

In HK your mostly likely to get into trouble if your uploading Films and Music of Local Artists.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast