Like Tree1Likes

upgrading to Windows 8 anyone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

upgrading to Windows 8 anyone?

Has anyone successfully upgraded their computer to the recent release of Windows 8? just wondering if it's worth it and if the graphics work even on an old computer?

M

if your computer doesn't have a touch screen, you probably won't love Windows 8

I've been running the Release Preview for quite a while now. Booting up to the login screen is pretty fast, but it usually still takes a bit of loading to get to the desktop. I spend very little time on the new Start screen, mostly just use it as an app launcher, which I find faster at finding then launching the apps than with Windows 7. Most of my time is spent on the desktop which hasn't had a great amount of changes from the Windows 7 desktop, and I haven't found any uses for the new Metro/Modern Apps because they run in full screen and are not particularly adapted for multitasking. It might be better with a touch enabled display but I've yet to try that.

I downloaded it last night so haven't used it long. Not sure why there is a desktop as it's no different to win 7. Though it helps with the transition.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

Performance-wise, it should run similarly to Win7.

@OP: What are the specs of your old computer?

specs

my computer is a lenovo t61 pentium dual core 2GB RAM, 2.0 ghz I think. I had vista on it, but it runs SO SLOW so even after I turned off all of the Aero graphics, its still sluggish.

I also heard that I would have the re-install all of my applications on W8 and may lose the original partition that I had my Win Vista on?

Has anyone tried a dual boot? That is, installing W8 while keeping your existing operating system (Eg., WinXp, Vista, 7) I wonder if I have to still reinstall if I have dual boot?

Just measuring the cost of changing (eg., time, effort, $$) versus keeping a slow computer.

Reports from friends who have upgraded from XP to Win7 (same as Win8) is that it runs at a comparable speed.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than this... I have never touched Vista as it's regarded as a POS by any IT people that I know and have therefore avoided it.

I have Vista on the laptop I use when traveling and that is only because I could not buy the computer with XP installed.

It truly is a POS, I can confirm!

East_coast likes this.

I upgraded my 5 year old Vista to Windows 8 last night. It runs probably 2x faster now, I'm really happy about that.

HOWEVER. My company is using a proxy and even after 2 days of googling, I cannot find a work around solution to access Windows Store, and most of the apps don't work when you're behind a corporate proxy, the internet works everywhere else. (Tried all the netsh/local policy groups/regedit global proxy settings etc etc)

Otherwise when I'm at home, I'm loving every bit of the new interface - sure it was a pain to get used to it, but I was determined to use it.

Last edited by UFG; 02-11-2012 at 11:15 AM.

It is pretty fast and nice and clean. There are a few problems but it's really the developer side hasn't caught up yet.

I haven't explored it properly but spend most time in desktop which is similar to Win 7.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast