New router problem?!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New router problem?!

So i just bought a new router for my house (Cisco EA2700) and i went through the setup disc. But now i can't get any internet and i tried reverting to the old router to no avail. The modem i have is the NEC NTA-3110 from netvigator (my desktop is plugged in directly to the router and my Macbook is connected via wireless). I can connect to the network but there is no internet. please help?

Seriously, it could be a million things.

Does it work if you connect your Mac with a cable?
    Is your wifi on?
    Is the router on?
    Etc, etc, etc, etc................

Draw a diagram of the setup, scan and post it here and you'll get some help.

Last edited by bryant.english; 14-12-2012 at 09:10 PM.

@BE.... stap. Just stap. You do not know how to use the memes, so stap!

okay, basic layout is attached. everything is on and the setup worked before. an interesting thing i never noticed was that the modem was never plugged into the wall, but it still got internet. everything is on, the cable from the modem goes from the WLAN port to the "internet" port on the router. my desktop is plugged directly into the router. i've tried the 30 second and 2 minute reset as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tech.ninja92
    okay, basic layout is attached. everything is on and the setup worked before. an interesting thing i never noticed was that the modem was never plugged into the wall, but it still got internet. everything is on, the cable from the modem goes from the WLAN port to the "internet" port on the router. my desktop is plugged directly into the router. i've tried the 30 second and 2 minute reset as well.
    Are you sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by tech.ninja92
    Modem must be connected to socket on the wall, unless its a wireless broadband...is it now connected to the wall socket?

Do u have a pppoe connection which needs username and password or you have the always on broadband dhcp??
    Last edited by shafiq; 15-12-2012 at 12:58 PM.

There will a port marked WAN in addition to the WLAN....What is plugged in the WAN port??

okay you'll have to forgive me for overlooking that, i was confused too but there was a mess of cable behind my desk and i've been away at college for a year so it's been a while since i've done this. i plugged the modem into the wall via the WAN port and i'm going to ask the 'rents for username and password. should i have the internet connection type chosen as PPPoE?

Try choosing DHCP first and see if you can connect to internet..

If not try pppoe. you shud have an username and password for this..may be u can take ur contract/docs on which you might have noted it down....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast