Like Tree32Likes

How to get fibre optic?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dcwt2010:
    That's the point, with FTTC and not FTTP they don't need to dig up the roads; it just requires us to be within a few hundred metres from the telecom cabinet which our flat and hundreds/thousands of us are too.
    You seem to make the assumption that your local cabinet either already has fibre to it or that the cable ducts leading to it have space to run fibre there. On what are you basing that assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You seem to make the assumption that your local cabinet either already has fibre to it or that the cable ducts leading to it have space to run fibre there. On what are you basing that assumption?
    Apologies, I did amend my post above to reflect that. I just think that it is not unreasonable to see fibre optic installed to the local cabinet, the cost would be just a fraction of what would be required to FTTC but the benefits would be massive. Obviously, it would beneficial just for the consumer so I guess it's never going to happen...

Again, I stress that in my case I'm not talking about a village which is miles away in the hills; we're a few hundred metres from the metropolis of Yuen Long.

Also, let's say it is too trouble to get fibre to the cabinet; you could still upgrade the local exchange to support ADSL2+ which means sync up to 24Mbs which is still a huge leap over 8Mbs DS. I'm looking at the router stats right now, our Downstream attenuation is 2dB which means we're pretty much next door to the damn exchange!!
    Last edited by dcwt2010; 11-01-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Yuen Long is still the arse end of HK in the grand scheme of things.

dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dcwt2010:
    If you have nothing constructive to contribute then why bother wasting time posting here? Just because you can't answer my questions doesn't mean you have the right to troll.

Anyway, I can see from the above that I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm just surprised that a superdensely packed city has these pockets of broadband slowspots. Again, the village I'm currently residing in right next to the Yuen Long West Rail station so it's hardly in the middle of nowhere.
    How much more time will you waste in this thread instead of simply calling the telco oligopolies and asking??

There are sufficiently many buildings within the city that are not fully serviced with what you're asking. Maybe that's why the "villages" don't have the service yet.

It's not like HK will be finding anymore space anytime soon. What with housing costs and rising population density the "farm village" is not the same as before. More housing estates are being built in what were rural locations. It's slightly short sighted to think in t digital age only people that live in "the city" need fast broadband speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen:
    It's slightly short sighted to think in t digital age only people that live in "the city" need fast broadband speeds.
    Let's be clear here - nobody needs 100mbit/s internet connections at their home. It's a luxury, not a basic necessity.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

I'm Staying in mongkok (one of the most denstly packed areas) next to the mtr and the only option also for me is 8mbps adsl with pccw.

Sent from my U8815 using GeoClicks Mobile

i live in sheung wan and my bldg only had 8mbps connection available until july 2011. before that i called pccw to inquire when will faster connection speeds be available in my bldg.

it seems that they took note of my interest and early 2011, they sent me a letter and said they were upgrading the connection to only 5 floors in my bldg and one of them was mine! i got the fiber-to-home package. so try and give them a call

Last edited by blueagles; 11-01-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    How much more time will you waste in this thread instead of simply calling the telco oligopolies and asking??

There are sufficiently many buildings within the city that are not fully serviced with what you're asking. Maybe that's why the "villages" don't have the service yet.
    I have already listed my reasons. Please stop wasting both of our time and stop posting unless you can contribute.

As for storm08 and Blueagle, thanks for sharing your experience. It's these exact real life examples that I'm after.

Seriously though why is fast Internet access such a big deal to you? You're not going to be moving here for another few years.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast