Like Tree32Likes

How to get fibre optic?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Seriously though why is fast Internet access such a big deal to you? You're not going to be moving here for another few years.
    I forgot to add that it's upload speed which is important. Why? I'm doing long distance (obviously) and use Skype. Back in UK I have a 30mbs down and 3mbs up. In Hong Kong my gf gets 8mbs down and 800kbs up, except it isn't. Whereas I can consistently upload 2mbs to her during a Skype video call, her connection can drop to 100kbs upload (even if she's the only one using it) which means I can't see her clearly. Video calls are quite important as I won't get to see her in real life for 6 months. So yes, I don't need a 100mbs downstream line right now but within fibre you can't get decent upstream either.

This topic isn't about me, if you can't answer my question that's fine. Just stop trolling.
    TheBrit likes this.

You're the one that's trolling

Flat Hunter likes this.

And yes the topic is exactly about you because it's all about the inability to Skype your gf.

Quote Originally Posted by dcwt2010:
    I have already listed my reasons. Please stop wasting both of our time and stop posting unless you can contribute.
    He is right, the moment you mentioned Netflix you confirmed it's something you want to have, not something you need to have.
    If it were crucial to e.g. your business you would have moved already a long time ago instead of waiting for the magical answer here (that nobody can give you).

As for storm08 and Blueagle, thanks for sharing your experience. It's these exact real life examples that I'm after.
    And they help to answer your question how?

As said the providers usually decide where to put FTxx based on the business outlook, not because the village happens to be next to a railway line.
    I also wonder what the MP would say if you ask for a petition based on Skype and Netflix (or whatever) ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Let's be clear here - nobody needs 100mbit/s internet connections at their home. It's a luxury, not a basic necessity.
    True but there are a lot of things we have but don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    He is right, the moment you mentioned Netflix you confirmed it's something you want to have, not something you need to have.
    If it were crucial to e.g. your business you would have moved already a long time ago instead of waiting for the magical answer here (that nobody can give you).

And they help to answer your question how?

As said the providers usually decide where to put FTxx based on the business outlook, not because the village happens to be next to a railway line.
    I also wonder what the MP would say if you ask for a petition based on Skype and Netflix (or whatever) ...
    I'm sorry, is this a business forum? Does it really matter? I have never denied that this is for personal use only. You also haven't read what my situation is with regards moving.

As regards petitioning MPs it already happened in many places as they know that superfast broadband is important for the economy. Not just for businesses but for the consumers so that they can receive the services.

Those users gave me personal accounts of what they've encountered. Even if it's anecdotal it's still far better than the trolling I've seen so far.

So, are there any more questions on my motives?
    As I said, you don't have read or post in this thread, you are not obligated!
    Last edited by dcwt2010; 12-01-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcwt2010:
    I'm sorry, is this a business forum? Does it really matter? I have never denied that this is for personal use only. You also haven't read what my situation is with regards moving.
    I didn't say it's a business forum. But again you seem to be missing the point, so let's just leave it at that.

As regards petitioning MPs it already happened in many places as they know that superfast broadband is important for the economy. Not just for businesses but for the consumers so that they can receive the services.
    Important for the economy = business
    personal use = nice to have but not important

Those users gave me personal accounts of what they've encountered. Even if it's anecdotal it's still far better than the trolling I've seen so far.
    Time for you to take a chill pill - just because you don't like the answers doesn't mean others are trolling.

So, are there any more questions on my motives?
    No, you already confirmed that it's all about what you want, not what you need.

Look, if someone ran a fibre directly into your PC, hooked you up with 1000M up and down and only charges you only HKD20 a month I would be happy for you, but your unreasonable demands that you are somehow entitled to a faster internet connection purely for private use get's no sympathy from me.

As I said, you don't have read or post in this thread, you are not obligated!
    Let me also state something obvious: Anyone can post here, if you like it or not.
    If you don't like some of the answers you are getting then you shouldn't have asked.

Anyway, I am out of here. Good luck with your quest.

To answer your question. It's unlikely you (or I or anyone) will get fast broadband anytime soon. If you live in a village or town house it seems to be pot luck. Don't ever, ever compare the UK to HK, ever........ever........ever as this gets the flamethrowers out of bed.

I didn't say it's a business forum. But again you seem to be missing the point, so let's just leave it at that.

Important for the economy = business
    personal use = nice to have but not important
    Utter tosh. You appear to think that fast residential broadband is some kind of gift bestowed upon the lucky few by benevolent cable monopolies... Big business couldn't possibly have a profit motive in doing so, could it?

No, you already confirmed that it's all about what you want, not what you need.
    What an absurd line of reasoning. Who decides what someone else needs? The Party? Nobody needs broadband. Nobody needs a mobile phone. Nobody needs fancy food. Nobody needs more than 200 m3. Nobody needs perfectly clean air. Nobody needs fast public transport. Nobody needs expensive clothes. Nobody needs frivolous entertainment. Nobody needs alcohol. Nobody needs multiple sources of news. Your "basic needs" are covered, so just be happy and get back to work!

Look, if someone ran a fibre directly into your PC, hooked you up with 1000M up and down and only charges you only HKD20 a month I would be happy for you, but your unreasonable demands that you are somehow entitled to a faster internet connection purely for private use get's no sympathy from me.
    You have converted (wholly within your own mind) the OP's request for help/advice on how to get a faster broadband connection into a set of "unreasonable demands" based on his sense of "entitlement" to free or nearly free 1000M broadband service. You're not only trolling, you've created the whole fishing boat, the ocean and the fish!
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    Utter tosh. You appear to think that fast residential broadband is some kind of gift bestowed upon the lucky few by benevolent cable monopolies... Big business couldn't possibly have a profit motive in doing so, could it?
    You also missed the point - likely it is too expensive to offer the service the OP is after in that village because the provider may not deem it profitable. To know if that's correct (or if there are other reasons) I have suggested in my first reply that the OP should contact the provider directly, or do you know the answer why the service isn't available there? Heck, the OP hasn't even mentioned which village it is, so how could anyone possibly know and help him!?

Note that I do acknowledge that he likely isn't going to get an answer, which is why I think the question is moot to begin with.

What an absurd line of reasoning. Who decides what someone else needs? The Party? Nobody needs broadband. Nobody needs a mobile phone. Nobody needs fancy food. Nobody needs more than 200 m3. Nobody needs perfectly clean air. Nobody needs fast public transport. Nobody needs expensive clothes. Nobody needs frivolous entertainment. Nobody needs alcohol. Nobody needs multiple sources of news. Your "basic needs" are covered, so just be happy and get back to work!
    You take a chill pill, too. You have chosen to distort my argument as I never claimed people cannot/should not use services that are available but I do take issue with the OP's intent to petition for faster services just so he can use Skype privately, which is unreasonable and not justified in my opinion.

If you are so much in support of the OP perhaps you can help him to find a MP to lobby for his problem.

You have converted (wholly within your own mind) the OP's request for help/advice on how to get a faster broadband connection into a set of "unreasonable demands" based on his sense of "entitlement" to free or nearly free 1000M broadband service. You're not only trolling, you've created the whole fishing boat, the ocean and the fish!
    BS, I never claimed the OP asked for it to be free or nearly free - I made this scenario up and exaggerated the cost to demonstrate that I have no problem if someone is provided with something he doesn't really need but has the opportunity to get at whatever cost (i.e. regardless how cheap), but I also do strongly believe that the OP's "need" does not justify bothering any MP with it.

Next time to take a deep breath and read more carefully before you type your reply.
    jimbo likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast