Like Tree3Likes

Security warning: Please turn off Java

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

FYI, new update not enough:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01...a_in_browsers/

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    FYI, new update not enough:
    Freaking brilliant, Oracle. The other day I went home, expecting to remove Java, but was [falsely] reassured when I turned on the computer and was greeted by an urgent Java update/patch, which I installed and figured would be sufficient. How many computers have been infected since installing that security update, I wonder?

Simple solution, disable java in your browser. I only enable it for IRD and some internal company apps that need it.

java in the browser always has been, and always will be, a massive security hole.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Original Post Deleted
    Complete tax return, check bill, check tax reserve certificates... It's a smorgasbord of tax fun on the IRD website.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    If you register for e-tax you also get an extra month to complete the tax return... plus once you;ve done one, they auto-complete most of the next one (info from the company returns etc) so if nothing much has changed year on year it can take mere moments to complete. Did mine inbetween "boarding" and "final call" while in an airport lounge a couple of years back!

Original Post Deleted
    I guess that is because of your "out of HK" issue you have mentioned before. Other than those kind of complexities the tax returns are a doddle requiring no accountants!

(Just in case any newbie on here gets the wrong impression).

I dont see mention of javascript on these articles. Is javascript OK or is that also affected by this?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    My first instalment is due tomorrow, which the IRD will ensure goes through for me. *smug*
    Realised I can't check the payment went through. Not feeling so smug now. Doh

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    I dont see mention of javascript on these articles. Is javascript OK or is that also affected by this?
    Javascript is another thing entirely. Not 100% safe itself, but not in the same league of sieve-like security as Java.

Like the big bold sign on the PPS website:

"Java Software has no longer been required in this PPS website since December 2011. Customers can use PPS without installing Java Software. "