Like Tree2Likes

Which stores offer a free downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7!?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which stores offer a free downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7!?

I've been looking for a new laptop for a while now, but in pretty much every store I only see all the models pre-installed with Windows 8, which I absolutely don't want.

Back in Holland, you could usually choose a 'downgrade' to Windows 7 if so desired, but when I asked in one of the chain stores here (not sure which one), they said it could not be done.

Are there any stores that sell A-brand laptops and offer a Windows 7 downgrade!?

Last edited by Yi-Long; 14-01-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: the voices in my head demanded me to do so...

I guess the issue is that only the Windows 8 PRO version has downgrade rights, which is being aimed at companies/commercial users, not consumers.
    Thus if you want to do it legally you first need to find a store that sells you the Pro version with the laptop. Which of course is more expensive, perhaps it's easier to buy the laptop as is and then get a Win7 OEM version and do a clean install.

If you do downgrade make sure that the manufacturer of the laptop has all the required drivers for Window 7 available; new models may not have them and sometimes the manufacturer will not have tested the compatibility if the model was meant to work with Windows 8 from the onset.

bryant.english and Yi-Long like this.

I resisted windows for a year or so.....I loved DOS......eventually, win 3.1 was everywhere and I was behind the curve.....

I resisted 95......same again!!

After those 'mistakes' I simply jumped in feet first when upgrades came out!!

In 12-18 months we'll all have to get used to windows 8.....new software and hardware will be optimised for it....just suck it up and get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I guess the issue is that only the Windows 8 PRO version has downgrade rights, which is being aimed at companies/commercial users, not consumers.
    Thus if you want to do it legally you first need to find a store that sells you the Pro version with the laptop. Which of course is more expensive, perhaps it's easier to buy the laptop as is and then get a Win7 OEM version and do a clean install.

If you do downgrade make sure that the manufacturer of the laptop has all the required drivers for Window 7 available; new models may not have them and sometimes the manufacturer will not have tested the compatibility if the model was meant to work with Windows 8 from the onset.
    HP, for example, is warning users not to downgrade...

lenovo still have window 7 laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:

Thanks Will hopefully do another round of 'information gathering' around a few stores/chains next week orso. Sounds like a big hassle to go through though, especially having to BUY a whole new W7 OEM version, just because Windows 8 is now forced upon us...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I resisted windows for a year or so.....I loved DOS......eventually, win 3.1 was everywhere and I was behind the curve.....

In 12-18 months we'll all have to get used to windows 8.....new software and hardware will be optimised for it....just suck it up and get used to it.

Oh, I always liked Windows, but the new one just sounds awful, after having read quite a few reviews.

Most reviews state that for your average desktop/laptop user who want to just work with multiple demanding programs at the same time, using mouse/keyboard/(wacom), it's just more of a hassle. It's why I'm hesitant to pick it up, also because I thought Vista was already fantastic, and W7 was even (slightly) better.

The problem isn't that hardware and software has to be optimized for it. There don't seem to be many problems with that. Main problem for me is that it's a touch-screen OS for a device where I don't want to use touch-controls to get around...

I'm not gonna be poking at my screen all the time.

Thanks, that's a very handy link

I do know that you can probably tweak and twist and app your way out of a lot of W8 irritations, but again, that seems like a whole lot of hassle to worry about and struggle through, when W7 was pretty much perfect straight out of the box.

Windows 8, to me, just seems like a big step backwards. I'm sure it's great on tablets and such, but for an old goat like me who just wants to use it with Photoshop and other programs, using a mouse and keyboard, it's not really looking appealing.

Windows 8 can be made to look like Windows 7.

Under the hood, Windows 8 is much better than 7 (which was already good)
    Boot times have changed .... dramatically ... online integration (with your hotmail/outlook.com) account works nicely. Even the Metro interface with the tiles is ... interesting, I still haven't found love for it, but I'm resisting the urge to go Windows 7 style, maybe I will find a tile that is a killer app?

>> I still haven't found love for it

May be worth looking at the new range of convertible ultrabook-ish laptops.

This one looks really interesting to me if and when I figure I'm dropping the Mac Airbook and switching back to Windows.

http://www.dell.com/hk/en/p/xps-12-l221x/pd?&ref=hbn

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast