Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gruntfuttock

Internet Issues, S. Lantau

Closed Thread

Internet Issues, S. Lantau

I realize this is the DB forum, but I can't seem to find one for Tong Fuk or even Mui Wo.
    I've only been here a couple of months, and have had several issues with my Internet service (PCCW) already.
    My wireless quick again today, and now PCCW is telling me they have a new router available, that I can purchase for $1250.
    Anyone have any info on the new router? Am I just throwing good money after bad?

Are you sure they are talking about a router? The thing they normally sell is a set-top box for NowTV (which is also a terrestrial digital TV decoder).

I would speak to my neighbours and see what they've got...

Use the cell phone network

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I would speak to my neighbours and see what they've got...
    Thanks Bryant, definitely a router. Problem is wireless signal weak. They claim this new one will more than double the signal strength.

If it is just a router, you can buy a good "N" spec router from one of the comp centers for $400-500 ( I think Buffalo has a few in that price range ).

It could simply be that a neighbour has a wifi router which is set to the same channel. This will mess your signal up when it's on. Try changing the channel to see if that helps.

bryant.english likes this.

PCCW installed a wireless router for me for FREE last year so I now have a HD Now TV box, A separate Box for the Broadband and a separate box for the wireless