Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

Internet access on the street

Closed Thread

Internet access on the street

Sorry for asking but am not a pro: can someone advise what is the technologically easiest, very very stable and not too expensive method of having internet access on a laptop computer when sitting on a random hong kong island street?

frakingly expensive, nothing cheaper to solve for this.

i only need it for one day, not like a year. and do i need to buy a USB modem if i have wifi at my laptop?

I have never used it but PCCW gave me something that gives me 5 free days of internet use outside my residence that is a USB plug in. I rarely work in a coffee shop or need access as the shop I do hold meetings has free wi-fi despite some comments from others here that it is slow as they need higher speed. I think even if you use this PCCW USB for 1 hour - that means 1 day gone.

Not sure of HK Broadband as they weren't in my building when I signed on.

I still can't figure out the internet stuff on my iPhone from 3 but rarely use the internet on that unless I am traveling and make a skype call on our paid service.

Last edited by Football16; 07-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.

cookie - do you have a phone with a data plan? if its a newer phone you can configure it to act as a wireless router, then connect to it and you should be all set

Definately check with your service provider if Tethering is included in your monthly package, Smartone once suddnely hit me with a $900 bill, said I had use the tethering, told them to FOXTROT OSCAR as I always been using it + I was on one of the most expensive packages with unlimited data usage, after arguing with them and telling them to GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY many times, they finally backed down and deleted it.

PCCW has over 10000 wifi hotspots around HK. I see they are doing a HK$38 monthly fee promotion. Check them out.

http://www2.pccwmobile.com/portal/ge...nd.jsp?lang=en

Dankleness likes this.

I use tethering for access, but you have to ask how often will you be on a 'street' accessing the Internet vs. in a coffee shop or some other indoor location (which likely has wifi of one sort of another). If the latter you can look at a PCCW wifi-only plan which isn't that much a month.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    I use tethering for access, but you have to ask how often will you be on a 'street' accessing the Internet vs. in a coffee shop or some other indoor location (which likely has wifi of one sort of another). If the latter you can look at a PCCW wifi-only plan which isn't that much a month.
    well honestly it's a complete one-off for a very specific purpose. as such i was hoping i could buy something like a one-off prepaid wifi access for one-off use, but seems even the cheapest forces me into a contract...

+1 for PCCW Wi-Fi Pass, then any 7-Eleven or MTR station or phone booth is your hot spot...

Otherwise One2Free prepaid sim has a 7 day pack for data that you could tether to your mobile