Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gruntfuttock

Usenet providers and backends

Closed Thread

Usenet providers and backends

Enjoy mofos

Original link, if you want to make it bigger:

http://www.abload.de/img/usenetwajgg.png

This triggered my curiosity, and so I went off looking to find that several of the Usenet newsgroups that I frequented 15-20 years ago are still actually active! And I still see people posting there whom I recognise from the old days. In fact with a bit of digging it seems possible to dredge up all the old postings back to the late 80s. I'm off for a bit of nostalgia...

(And I mean newsgroups in the original sense, not the piracy mechanisms that most youngsters these days seem to regard them as...

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 20-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    This triggered my curiosity, and so I went off looking to find that several of the Usenet newsgroups that I frequented 15-25 years ago are still actually active! And I still see people posting there whom I recognise from the old days!

(And I mean newsgroups in the original sense, not the piracy mechanisms that most youngsters these days seem to regard them as...
    I used to post on newsgroups back in the day. Then user forums came along.

Me too, which is why I was surprised to find the old groups still active.

Sadly Google's archive only appears to go back 20 years for some of the groups I was in, although others go back further.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 20-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Still on giganews here....any others with HK servers?

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Still on giganews here....any others with HK servers?
    Nope, to date Giga is the only usenet provider with servers in HK.

You could go a bit cheaper and use powerusenet instead of main giga.

Usenet/newsgroups - what a waste of time. IRC is what people use nowadays!

i-Cable blocking or throttling usenet?

I just moved from PCCW 6M to i-Cable 130M. PCCW were just too ridiculous with their price increases and terrible customer service. So far it's great, much faster for half the price.

One issue though. I'm with Astraweb and was getting 630KB/s on PCCW, which is about right, but on i-Cable I'm barely breaking 40KB/s. However if I VPN to US or UK I get very decent speeds, around 5MB/s. This makes me think i-Cable is throttling usenet providers overseas. Anyone else experience this?

I borrowed a friend's Giganews account (HK servers) and speeds are up to 8MB/s without VPN. Giga's quite a bit more each month though.

All other web surfing, video streaming from overseas etc is fine, getting much higher rates than when using Astra.

Anyone know of any usenet providers with un-throttled servers? In HK or elsewhere?

AFAIK only giganews has HK servers. I suggest trying out some other usenet providers. I'm on supernews, (8mbit line, I get full speed at 900K/s) you can try out for 3 days free of charge.

reprazent
    AFAIK only giganews has HK servers. I suggest trying out some other usenet providers. I'm on supernews, (8mbit line, I get full speed at 900K/s) you can try out for 3 days free of charge.
    Yeah my research shows the same regarding HK servers.

I can max out my PCCW 6M line with Astra or any other provider no problem at any time, so it seems it's just i-Cable that is throttling. I tried a whole bunch of services from different backbones, all seem to be slow at night.

I'm testing now (2pm Fri) and Astra seems to be much better (2MB vs 40KB last night) where as the HK Giga servers are slower (4MB vs 8MB last night). Seems like some active throttling based on overseas traffic congestion. US/Europe is asleep now so more bandwidth available. But definitely someone is controlling it at night, cos if I use VPN to US/UK I get much better speeds.

Deleted
    Are you getting ok overseas speeds for other traffic overseas?
    Yeah other overseas traffic is fine, streaming video from US/UK, using VPN or not, browsing heavy websites etc.

Strange though because speedtest.net shows slow speeds overseas at night (slower than PCCW) but actual usage feels faster than PCCW. Goes to show speedtest isn't always the best indicator.