Like Tree17Likes

Microsoft just killed the touchscreen and sells a trillion W8 installed machines

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

TigerSun - but it would work really well for a TV or a large format display which would be more than an arms length away.

I can also see a new version of Kinect being able to do this with Windows 8.

INXS and Skyhook like this.

Do none of you ever watch CSI, Hawaii 50, Iron Man etc etc? It can't be long before we get the holographic display to go with the "air mouse".

This gizmo will replace my IR magic wand I use for presentations. Pre Order made and they confirm it can ship to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    TigerSun - but it would work really well for a TV or a large format display which would be more than an arms length away.

I can also see a new version of Kinect being able to do this with Windows 8.
    I've been using a gyroscopic mouse in the classroom for over a year now. I make games with Powerpoint 2010 and the kids can interact with the 'screen' Where the kids are too little to handle the 'mouse' I get them to touch the screen and I discreetly click the mouse so it feels like they're interacting with it..!....I started off using a hacked wii and infra red pens, not so reliable but it was a glimpse of the future and the future looked great...

I'm very excited about this kind of technology......I produce a lot of material for my students and a big projection that they can interact with really engages them.....the potential is limitless and the material is easy to transport (DropBox) Easy to replicate and measurable!! You get it.......I love this stuff!!!

Can't wait for the kinect to be seamless with the PC!! There's a mini-revolution happening in my classroom!!
    shri, virago, wtbhotia and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    On a related note, I've got a fax machine I'm willing to let go for the right price.
    I am a keen antiques collector, how much do you want for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    ha ha that was exactly what I was thinking when I watched the OP's link!

Nice science fiction product development.

Why do you think the qwerty keyboard is so well used? We are so used to devices that is hard to change.

Unless there is some increase in productivity then it offers no incentive for me.

Sent from somewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Nice science fiction product development.

Why do you think the qwerty keyboard is so well used? We are so used to devices that is hard to change.
    I don't think it tries to replace the keyboard (since typing long texts would still require one) but the mouse. Remember that e.g. a C64 didn't come with a mouse? It was available as accessory but not widely used and only became a must-have item with Windows and Mac PCs. Maybe the Leap Motion will replace it at some time; there are some reports that it might be build into notebooks in future. At least it wouldn't leave greasy marks on the touchscreen.

Unless there is some increase in productivity then it offers no incentive for me.
    Agree, but there are probably areas other than an office PC where the device could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I am a keen antiques collector, how much do you want for it?
    You're actually going to pay $ for a used fax machine ?

Like, seriously ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    I don't think it tries to replace the keyboard (since typing long texts would still require one) but the mouse. Remember that e.g. a C64 didn't come with a mouse? It was available as accessory but not widely used and only became a must-have item with Windows and Mac PCs. Maybe the Leap Motion will replace it at some time; there are some reports that it might be build into notebooks in future. At least it wouldn't leave greasy marks on the touchscreen.

Agree, but there are probably areas other than an office PC where the device could be useful.
    What is a keyboard.

Don't people just dictate stuff and get their secretary to make it look proper?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2