Like Tree1Likes

Avi on mac

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avi on mac

Hi,

I gave a friend some films from my windows PC on a 16gb stick (NTFS) for them to play on Mac Pro retina. They have QuickTime, VLC and perian installed. Other files they have work but nothing on the stick works but the stick shows up.
    Any thoughts as I'm a complete MAC noob.
    I'm not near the Mac so I can't answer many questions on that side.

Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1374602701.067207.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  73.9 KB not working file. Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1374602734.050598.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  87.5 KB working file

Did they try vlc?

What quicktime player version do they have?

if you dont wnna troubleshoot, yu can convert avi to mov and play it quicktime!!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by shafiq; 24-07-2013 at 02:27 AM.

What happens when you drag the avi files onto the Mac's desktop and then play them from VLC?

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    Did they try vlc?

What quicktime player version do they have?

if you dont wnna troubleshoot, yu can convert avi to mov and play it quicktime!!

Yes to VLC. I'm not sure about what version of QT but its a new Laptop. This morning I did think about converting using handbrake. I use this for my iPad but this seems like a time consuming process as there are about 6 films. Not all if them even show up on the stick.

I don't mind trouble shooting as a fix is always best it all my skills are windows based.

On your MacBook Pro Retina, open iTunes, then search for VLC for iOS, then install this onto your iPad, then "add" the files via your Macbook Pro into the iPad - you'll see the app show up in the "Apps" tab and scroll down to see "File Sharing". VLC for iOS should play .avi files fairly well, as long as the file size is not too big.

Give it a try.

What the size of those files that dint show up?

can you ask em try this version of qt?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

Remember, when you buy your movies legally instead of pirating them, the quality is better and they work first time!

Alright, that isn't strictly true, I had to rip some DVDs the other day to get round the region coding.

Anyway, try downloading a tool that'll inspect the file and tell you what codecs it's using.

Can you actually SEE the files? If not, it's a format of the stick issue.

If you can SEE them, and have tried playing with VLC, I'm stumped. I've never had a kind of file VLC could not play. For quicktime (nasty software) usually you have to download Perian too for it to work properly.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast