Like Tree12Likes

Laptop Suggestions?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Why is mac not going to work? Even if you hate the OS, you can boot in Windows and still use the rugged construction, light weight and performance. One of our staff has specalist software in Windows but we got her a Mac because she kept killing other brands. Hasn't killed the mac yet.
    Is only a matter is time before she does kill it.

Sent from somewhere....
    INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    really?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

seems closer to equivalent cost to a 46"lcd tv for replacement solder ssd by apple
    Seems more like you have selective reading.

Firstly, it's an SSD that needs replacing and not a HDD.

Secondly, as mentioned in the discussion you posted, there is/are cheaper ways to replace an SSD. SSDs themselves are not cheap, it's not the fault of Apple but the current tech/company that manufacturers them. You can find cheaper solder SSDs in places like Taobao. But then people like you will moan about why Apple would choose to use solder SSDs, esp as they are more expensive. Take a look, feel and lift up a macbook air and you'd know why. Conventional SSDs will never fit, only making the macbook air thicker and heavier.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Seems more like you have selective reading.

Firstly, it's an SSD that needs replacing and not a HDD.

Secondly, as mentioned in the discussion you posted, there is/are cheaper ways to replace an SSD. SSDs themselves are not cheap, it's not the fault of Apple but the current tech/company that manufacturers them. You can find cheaper solder SSDs in places like Taobao. But then people like you will moan about why Apple would choose to use solder SSDs, esp as they are more expensive. Take a look, feel and lift up a macbook air and you'd know why. Conventional SSDs will never fit, only making the macbook air thicker and heavier.

I deal with 10 pc and 10 macs per year on average that require servicing/repairs throughout the world ( I am in the insurance industry), both have equal percentage of reliability, however, the cost for like for like repairs for both is like 3-4 times compared to pc, whether it's ssd/hdd, logic board, power supply, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Bomber:
    10 of each is not a large enough sample size for you to offer a qualified opinion.

Wait a second! That's the same size test group as most cosmetic companies who claim to remove my wrinkles and erase time.

Sorry Mr. Garnier, carry on
    actually, over the last 7 years, clients actually praise me that they lucky they took my company's insurance, if not, a hefty burning hole in their wallet

the fact is that mac computers are simply expensive and difficult to repair, hardware with planned obsolescence, solder on components, standard components with not so standard proprietary connectors

not my opinion, this is based on both official apple service centres and industry standard repairers - ifixit opinion

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...ardown/15042/2

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+...ardown/11936/4

note that low repairability ratings by these expert's conclusion
    Last edited by imparanoic; 14-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

actually, over the last 7 years, clients actually praise me that they lucky they took my company's insurance, if not, a hefty burning hole in their wallet

the fact is that mac computers are simply expensive and difficult to repair, hardware with planned obsolescence, solder on components, standard components with not so standard proprietary connectors

not my opinion, this is based on both official apple service centres and industry standard repairers - ifixit opinion

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBo...ardown/15042/2

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+...ardown/11936/4

note that low repairability ratings by these expert's conclusion
    I love that site, every mac that is ever on that site scores so lowly on their repairability rating, whereas they overlook the fact that with most other laptop manufacturers getting say a display or logic board for a specific model requires so much hard work after a year, as these same manufacturers pump up slightly variations in their models. 3 years ago my HP laptop's adapter burnt out, getting an official replacement wad impossible, I had to find out specific country codes for the model of my laptop. I opted for some dodgy 3rd party one in the end.

As mentioned previous, for the macbook air, it reduce space nearly everything is on the logic board; CPU, GPU and ram. But to say a mac is hard to repair is laughable really. I repair them for a living, and they are so well laid out. Steve Jobs said that he wanted each mac to be as beautiful inside as on the outside, so everything is well laid out. Each generation of a particular model gets better and easier do to the feedback we give during repairs.

I've tried repairing HP, dell and Toshiba laptops in the past. Everything was so plastic, one wrong move, one wrong snap, and you'd need a new replacement part or else you won't be able to put it back together again.

Original Post Deleted
    mac and pc are only small percentage of insured items, plus, in excess of US$1500, extra premium, plus additional optional mechanical, electronic and electrical derangements

I love that site, every mac that is ever on that site scores so lowly on their repairability rating, whereas they overlook the fact that with most other laptop manufacturers getting say a display or logic board for a specific model requires so much hard work after a year, as these same manufacturers pump up slightly variations in their models. 3 years ago my HP laptop's adapter burnt out, getting an official replacement wad impossible, I had to find out specific country codes for the model of my laptop. I opted for some dodgy 3rd party one in the end.

As mentioned previous, for the macbook air, it reduce space nearly everything is on the logic board; CPU, GPU and ram. But to say a mac is hard to repair is laughable really. I repair them for a living, and they are so well laid out. Steve Jobs said that he wanted each mac to be as beautiful inside as on the outside, so everything is well laid out. Each generation of a particular model gets better and easier do to the feedback we give during repairs.

I've tried repairing HP, dell and Toshiba laptops in the past. Everything was so plastic, one wrong move, one wrong snap, and you'd need a new replacement part or else you won't be able to put it back together again.

Mr jobs and Mr cook must be the messiah to you, this is fanboyism at it's extreme, note, mac pro (prior 2010) and MacBook pro (prior 2009) actually scores highly for modular/upgradability/repairability by the professionals

Mr jobs and Mr cook must be the messiah to you, this is fanboyism at it's extreme, note, mac pro (prior 2010) and MacBook pro (prior 2009) actually scores highly for modular/upgradability/repairability by the professionals
    Not really, I've never bought into their philosophy much, but I do appreciate repairability when I see it. Like how you've suddenly slipped in the word upgradability in there, I'd love to know how many laptops that's ever been released by any manufacturer that was in anyway good for upgradability, ram being the exception.

You give me 2 examples out of your Google search (yes, I've noticed all you do is Google search, no actual substance to your facts) and I can give you so many more to counter the argument. Have you taken a mac mini apart? Each generation gets so much more easier. One of the tools needed to take a particular model apart was a mallet and something hard to wedge between the plastic. The mac pro 2010, have you taken it apart and realised how easy it is done? Naming the macbook pro pre 09 is laughable, do you know how many parts were unusable once you took out the logic board and had to be replaced? How difficult it was reconnecting some of the cables, and how easy the cable connectors broke? Carry on Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by toastandjam:
    Never buy a Toshiba.
    I have had two and both have very bad battery life spans - yes I did knock off all the bloatware, choose a good power program and discharge, charge the batteries to maintain their efficiency. Both total bricks.
    As an aside: laptop batteries do not require full discharge/recharge cycles. This is a myth perpetuated from several decades ago when NiCad batteries were in common usage.
    TheBrit, imparanoic and Stoob like this.

I repair them for a living, and they are so well laid out. Steve Jobs said that he wanted each mac to be as beautiful inside as on the outside, so everything is well laid out. Each generation of a particular model gets better and easier do to the feedback we give during repairs.
    Oh you repair Macs

I'm waiting for the MBP's to get refreshed with Haswell. I had my eye on getting the 13" rMBP until I noticed that it only supports 8Gb ram. Any chance you could open it up and replace it with 2x8Gb dimms?

Don't suggest the 15". I know it supports 16 but I don't like the footprint.