Do ISPs cap home broadband connections?

Closed Thread

Do ISPs cap home broadband connections?

Has anyone come across their ISP throttling their services after sustained high usage? I'm under the impression that this is still common in some countries and have been expecting to hit some kind of undocumented cap for a while now as I've been chewing up large amounts of bandwidth for remote backups, but so far it's been remarkably trouble free with my home connection.

Some ISP, while reading your questions, will now probably think; "mhm, that's a good idea...."

Yes, ISPs care deeply about what their customers think of them, to the extent that they comb expat fora for ideas

Back in UK I did, and at the time I was signed up with a BT business broadband package. I'd get around a third of the normal bandwidth during office hours, and all of a sudden back to its full speed at night. My business at the time was nowhere near other offices, so it wasn't other businesses using up the broadband switch board outside.

In HK, not aware of it, probably cause, international bandwidth is so crap, that you don't really get full speeds, and local bandwidth is probably so cheap they don't really care for local connections.....