Like Tree17Likes

PCCW refusing to relocate NowTV and Internet to Sai Kung

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PCCW refusing to relocate NowTV and Internet to Sai Kung

Just moved from Kowloon to village house in Sai Kung. PCCW/ NowTV have basically refused to give me a date for Internet or NowTV transfer. They are "full". This after at least fifteen long calls to different unhelpful members of staff. Two things:

1. Will others who have experienced this please let me know below and

2. Will others please complain to the Office of Communications ( the regulator) who have confirmed to me that this is appropriate for a complaint.

3. Do others have any idea what to do in this situation being faced by no TV and no Internet? I am looking at a Smartone dongle. If I have say four or five bars on my phone does this indicate that this will enable me Internet access? Will this be enough to download from iTunes?

Any help appreciated.

Welcome to sai kung where everything is FULL. My friend experienced it a few months ago, nearly two months with no internet / now tv, she bitched about it nearly every few days on Facebook LOL.

4-5 bars is plenty to download from.

This blogger wrote at length about the nightmare of dealing with PCCW, and it has been well documented both online and in the press.

http://hongkietown.com/2013/07/the-i...-villages.html

http://hongkietown.com/category/pccwsucks

http://hongkietown.com/2013/02/signal-testing.html

and a few others. Just key PCCW into his search engine, and weep.

The facebook page :

https://www.facebook.com/IHatePccw

In all my years in HK I can easily say that PCCW is the scummiest most dishonest company to deal with, closely followed by California Gym.

Pricks, Cnuts, Conmen and Wankers sums them up nicely.

wtbhotia and jimbo like this.

PCCW is under no obligation to provide anything other than a basic phone line. I don't see what your grounds for complaint against them are in this instance.

If you want, say, 100Mbit/s internet to be a universal right then lobby your legco member for a change in the law.

It's not clear to me that there should be any price subsidy though, so if you choose to live in the middle of nowhere then you should expect to pay a lot.

jgl likes this.

First Sai Kung is not in the middle of nowhere. This is Hong Kong, not Newfoundland. Second, I don't want a big debate but a solution, but if you give a company a monopoly and make it illegal for other companies to provide solutions like satellite services then the regulator has an obligation to ensure that the monopoly does not cherry pick commercial opportunities and offers a comprehensive service across the territory. The fact that there is a regulator and that his office told me this was a suitable matter of complaint confirms that this is appropriate in HK.

Apart from your post thanks to the others for welcoming me!

TheBrit, jimbo, z754103 and 2 others like this.

Unfortunately Sai Kung is considered to be in the middle of nowhere when dealing with the telecoms firms of HK.

I live in Causeway Bay, and I can't even get a fast connection out of PCCW, so as far as Dickie and his pals are concerned you may as well live in the middle of Alaska.

The solution is mainly in the links I gave you. Have you read them?

PCCW does not have a monopoly on either internet or cable TV. There are others, none of home have thought it financially viable to set up the networks in Sai Kung. Too expensive for limited reward, so you are stuck with PCCW who notoriously don't give a crap about your satisfaction, and even less if you go crying off to the regulators.

As the Grunt points out this is the price you pay for your solitude, and a few minutes doing due diligence on Google would have alerted you to the situation enabling you to make a more informed decision about your relocation choice.

Anyway good luck with your battle! It has been fought by many before you, including myself who has had letters published in the SCMP regarding their appalling behaviour, and threatened to take them to court.

jgl and Tom007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedupgweilo:
    if you give a company a monopoly and make it illegal for other companies to provide solutions like satellite services
    PCCW is not a monopoly. Several companies provide internet services, and the licensing regime is fairly light. However, none of them is a charity.

I'd be interested to see the evidence for your assertion about satellite services.

But otherwise, good luck getting whatever answer it is you want to hear, even when the correct one is that you should have done better research before moving.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 03-09-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    Cwbguy likes this.

CableTV offers satellite TV/ pay channels to a select few isolated villages in the NT and outlying island communities.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    CableTV offers satellite TV/ pay channels to a select few isolated villages in the NT and outlying island communities.
    We have that in our village also in clear water bay

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    PCCW is not a monopoly. Several companies provide internet services, and the licensing regime is fairly light. However, none of them is a charity.

I'd be interested to see the evidence for your assertion about satellite services.

But otherwise, good luck getting whatever answer it is you want to hear, even when the correct one is that you should have done better research before moving.
    Wow. To encounter such trolling so early on a forum is quite a thing!

To repeat: anyone who has a shared experience of being an existing or new customer of PCCW and being denied a service with an indefinite date specified, please join me in reporting this lack of coverage to the Office of Communications, the regulator, who have informed me that such a case is appropriate for complaint. As a monopoly ( the word has a usage which covers a situation where competition is severely restricted to a very small number if competitors) licensed companies have a duty to comply with certain conditions to protect consumers against anti competitive practices. Cherry picking which areas you support with investment in infrastructure (we are talking about the capacity of existing infrastructure not building pylons here) for commercial advantage is an example of a monopolistic practice that abuses a dominant position in the market. That's why the Hong Kong regulator will entertain complaints about refusal of service by PCCW.

I would be grateful if those who can help me find a solution to this problem would help me and those who have no experience of this, are not victims of this and have no constructive advice, would mind their own business and go and troll somewhere else.
    Last edited by Fedupgweilo; 03-09-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast