Like Tree14Likes

How many hard disks?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Thanks for the replies. Looks llke a 120Gb SSD and a fast HDD will do to replace old desk top running XP.

Already have a NAS drive and use uPNP and airplay to access entertainment files for video and music via a couple of boxes under the TV

Marantz one of the best hifi/audio equipment in the world, their product bring out the musical fidelity of any source, I have owned a mid ranger hifi for almost 18 years

My flatmate and I share a Drobo. I don't know how the thing works, or how many HDDs he's installed in it, but it reads 18TBs......

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    My flatmate and I share a Drobo. I don't know how the thing works, or how many HDDs he's installed in it, but it reads 18TBs......
    Damn, that's a lot of pr0n...

even if it's not pr0n, those HD movies/series eat away HD space quickly these days.

My main SSD is 128gb Crucial M4, more than enough for windows, ms office, photoshop + lightroom and a few games. my main data drive is a 2TB WD. I have 2 more 2TB drives for photo backup purposes. (those are connected in dockingstation when needed)

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent:
    I have 2 more 2TB drives for photo backup purposes. (those are connected in dockingstation when needed)
    Am I understanding this correctly? You need 2TB for your photos? That's about 400,000 photos (@5MB), i.e. more than 10 photos for every single day of your expected lifespan? Are you one of those people who photograph every meal they eat?

He could be shooting in RAW...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Am I understanding this correctly? You need 2TB for your photos? That's about 400,000 photos (@5MB), i.e. more than 10 photos for every single day of your expected lifespan? Are you one of those people who photograph every meal they eat?
    The poster mentions Lightroom which implies RAW. Those files could be around 35MB per image or more. People who use these sorts of cameras like to take photos.

But even so, it's still more than a photo (that's worth keeping) for every day of your life... when will you ever have time to look at them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    But even so, it's still more than a photo (that's worth keeping) for every day of your life... when will you ever have time to look at them?
    Whenever I whip out my DSLR, it's common for me to have taken over 500+ photos easily in one day, each shot maybe 3-4 multiple shots to see which is the best one. Then there are those I shoot side by side so I can make a panoramic shot later in photoshop. Add on at the very least one backup copy of them, they all stack up, so it's not unusual to need so much storage for photos.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I said for photobackup purposes, doesn't mean it's totally filled up with pictures already. currently I have around 600gb worth of photos, from 2008 till now. It will take some years before I'm out of space, though I suspect the drives will be obsolete before I reach 2TB.

As others have pointed out these raw files are in the 20-30mb region each, the working (tiff)files are even larger. so multiply that by two, then there are print files and jpeg exports for the web. It does add up, but thankfully hd space is cheap. The cloud solution is pretty much useless here in HK with my narrowband connection.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast