Web host recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Web host recommendations?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Web hosting, so please be gentle...

I've been blogging for a short time on WordPress.com and now starting to find its limitations. I'm looking at using some specific plugins, which it doesn't have, and I've already seen a sizeable chunk of my online storage capacity used up with the photos I've uploaded.

I was thinking, to migrate the blog as painless as possible, it'd be using WordPress.org and have read various articles online how to do it (most probably with the easiest one click option via scripts).

Nearly everyone of these sites mention Bluehost, are they good? Any other recommendations? Remember this is for someone who's a complete noob with all this. Something with a super duper easy interface or something......

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

The only hosting I buy is for a very simple website using an obscure (and obsolete) CMS, not WordPress, and that's on A2 Hosting. I have no complaints at all - reliable, quick, good communication via newsletters & alerts (for maintenance/upgrade issues etc). The user interface works fine for me, and on the one occasion that I needed their customer support (when the site was hacked, through no fault of theirs) it was excellent - they were the ones who alerted me (within minutes) to the hack, took appropriate lock down measures, and they were swift and helpful in supporting me to get the site back up and running.

I do have some exposure also to GoDaddy where I occasionally help out a friend who has hosting there (but again not WordPress), and they seem pretty solid as well. I also get some domain hosting from them.

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 10-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks for the info, I'm trying to stop myself from making a rush decision, want to plan ahead for what I will being doing with webhosting in the future, and then see if the webhost meets my needs.

Currently, Bluehost does look very good, as they do have a lot for support for WordPress.org users, and for a noob like me may turn out to be a godsend.

Original Post Deleted
    How much are you paying?

To OP, are you looking for international/US host or a Hong Kong hosting provider?

I use GoDaddy and I made my own site in WordPress. 24/7 you can call them and somebody answers and solves your problem, whether it's their fault or not. Once, they were down for a few hours so they gave me a free month. They are awesome...people slate them because they are the big guys...meh! They are the best.

I have used both hostgator and bluehost and both are very good although bluehost has the slight edge.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Will mull over it all with my flatmate tonight, I might even get him to lend me some of his web space, he already has one or two WordPress sites on the go, so it might just be a matter of getting a domain name. But it does sound like Bluehost would be my current preferred option.

I have used Media Temple for years, never had any problems, support is great. Believe they are now owned by goDaddy.

have used Bluehost for a few years. No issues. Although it would be nice to have a few extra urls at no extra costs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast