A 2nd broadband connection?

Closed Thread

A 2nd broadband connection?

Ever since I got my 1st TV in HK, I've been streaming a lot of content. My flat mate streams a lot as well, coupled with a gazillion things connected to our wifi router, the broadband connection has been pretty much maxed constantly in the last week or so.

We're on a 6Mb PCCW broadband plan, the fastest they can supply to this walk up building.

I was wondering if it is possible to get a second broadband connection somehow. I've looked on HKBN and iCable's website, and this building is not covered by them.

Is getting another broadband connection pretty useless, will it piggyback on the existing line? Or can I get a separate line entirely?

Are there any feasible 4G connections I can use at home thats not going to cripple me financially?

Have you asked PCCW if they can supply you with another 6Mb connection? If there's spare copper to your property then in principle they could. The speed restriction is at least in part to do with how far you are from the exchange, although running two connections on the same building wiring if it's old copper might not work technically.

4g connections are all pretty much capped.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using GeoClicks mobile app

I've been running a dual wan router with pccw and smartone 3g connection for the last two years at my business. Our pccw is capped at 1.5mbps! so I got the 3g, which works about 5mbps. But in some areas, 3g works up to 10-15mbps. I have not seen a cap/slowdown on our 3g, but did recently on my personal smartone phone - they sent a message when I reached "fair use" 5GB limit, and then will throttle the rest of the month. But if you can do two 6mb connections - you can choose to connect them via a dual wan router (which won't be easy to get 12mb - it doesn't work that way) or you can just choose to manually connect devices to one or the other on separate wifi aps...

First.
    try to connect 2 PCCW ADSL lines. If there are enough spare lines, you can do the next step.

Buy a dual WAN router which can connect 2 ADSL lines.