Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Claire ex-ax

Switch from PCCW Fibre to HKBN Fibre?

Switch from PCCW Fibre to HKBN Fibre?

Hello All,

This seems like a very specific question, but I am hoping someone has some experience with it and can help me out?

I recently renovated my apartment, about 1.5 years back, and had PCCW install Fibre-to-home cabling inside the walls in my apartment. Now however, my building is offering HKBN Fibre free of charge and I am thinking of obviously switching to it. But I am not able to get a clear answer regarding the following:
    1. Can they use the existing Fibre cabling? After all, fibre is fibre?
    2. If not, would they be able to replace the in-wall cabling by pulling the new one through?

Really hoping someone has some experience in switching from one ISP to the other?

Don't do it. I was with HKBN and switched to PCCW! HKBN isn't good for international websites, or it wasn't when I had it anyway. You might get a faster speed for local websites or torrents, but it doesn't make up for it.

Edit: oh I didn't read that it was free. So the above might not be relevant. Oops

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

Last edited by justjoe86; 10-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saury316
    Hello All,

This seems like a very specific question, but I am hoping someone has some experience with it and can help me out?

I recently renovated my apartment, about 1.5 years back, and had PCCW install Fibre-to-home cabling inside the walls in my apartment. Now however, my building is offering HKBN Fibre free of charge and I am thinking of obviously switching to it. But I am not able to get a clear answer regarding the following:
    1. Can they use the existing Fibre cabling? After all, fibre is fibre?
    2. If not, would they be able to replace the in-wall cabling by pulling the new one through?

Really hoping someone has some experience in switching from one ISP to the other?
    They cannot use PCCW cable
    They cannot replace the current in wall cable

They can't use the current fibre. Yes, fibre is fibre, you are right. Just that PCCW's fibre is not HKBN's fibre!
    I switched from PCCW to HKBN and I don't regret.
    The only thing I didn't like is that HKBN doesn't have many international TV channels, but recently I sold my TV set and I decided not to watch TV anymore, so I am ok with that now.

Avoid PCCW by all means! I used them before for both my office and private residence. They are horrible. Customer service with HKBN is far better. PCCW is too expensive in my opinion. This is one of the reasons why HKBN saw an opportunity to enter this market and take away the monopoly that PCCW had.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    jrkob likes this.

Just an update - 1 year later -

I ended up switching to HKBN's service once it was available. I got HKBN to reuse/replace the cable internally in the wall (I wasn't at home the entire time the technicians were there, but clearly they didn't have any problems setting it up).

There is no exposed wiring which was super important.

Speeds have been quite fast, although like any other service in HK, with international download speeds I usually max out at about 100-120 mbps (Speed tests locally of course show much higher).

Overall I've been quite happy with HKBN's service so far.