looking for a USB wi-fi receiver

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking for a USB wi-fi receiver

Hi I'm looking to buy a USB device for wifi receiving. Currently the reception is really bad at times even unable to receive any wifi to the home router. Is there any recommendations for a USB device which I can use to pick up the reception. Looking for cheap ones, thanks.

Have a look at using phone plugs instead of using wifi.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    Have a look at using phone plugs instead of using wifi.

Can you explain what you mean by phone plugs proplus?? The issue is with my computer in my room linking to the home router in the main living area. It hardly gets any reception at the moment.

Original Post Deleted
    Hi green, as much as I'd like to drill a hole, it's not my purchased apartment so I think it's gonna be a problem with the owner.

https://sites.google.com/a/plasterne...r-wifi-network

Or if you are using a desktop PC, just get a really long, flat-style cable and run it along the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    https://sites.google.com/a/plasterne...r-wifi-network

Or if you are using a desktop PC, just get a really long, flat-style cable and run it along the floor.
    Thanks jgl, any recommendations and where best to buy cheap in shops

Check smallnetbuilder.com if you to compare devices and standards. Lots of reviews and explanations there. IMO brand isn't a big deal.

Just go to any of the computer centres. Pricing for these things is pretty standard. Check the jumbo or centralfield sites for prices.

http://www.jumbo-computer.com/pricelist.aspx?id=88

Really though, if you are running a desktop just get a cheap LAN cable. Less hassle, cheaper, faster.

PS: Proplus mean "home plug" (which is what I linked to) rather than "phone plug".

Last edited by jgl; 11-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks, yes I meant home plugs...... Dunno where the wires got crossed, maybe in my head....!

I use and recommend the TP-LINK TL-WN822N Wireless N300 High Gain USB Adapter, 300Mbps, Dual 3dBi External Antennas, WPS Button, Support Windows XP/Vista/7/8/Mac OS 10.4-10.8. They're about HK$160 at all good computer stores. Just plug it into your USB port and install the drivers and software which come on the enclosed mini CD.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN8.../dp/B00416Q5KI

Good review here:

I am a soldier in Afghanistan where I live in a tent. The nearest internet hotspot is about 120 meters away behind a 1 foot thick concrete blast wall. Before I purchased this relatively inexpensive 'high-gain' antenna I had to leave my tent and walk outdoors towards a signal to connect to the internet. Now, not only am I able to connect, but I have twice as many choices of networks to connect to. This little gadget is awesome! The upload and download speeds are good enough for SKYPE. It is one of the best devices I've purchased since I've been here.

Last edited by transit; 11-03-2014 at 10:10 PM.

I have tried high gain antennae as well as directional modifications to normal and high gain antennae (basically curved foil) and have found them to be of no practical value.

With high gain, I could measure a slight increase in signal strength dB of the access point when in line-of-sight to the access point (can't remember the exact decibel figure) but this did not improve wifi range at all. Basically, areas in my flat that had spotty or no coverage did not suddenly improve or start to recieve coverage.

The problem with signal coverage in HK is not just signal attenuation due to simple distance, it is that the walls of HK apartments are made of solid concrete which completely block out wifi signal, so the signal has to bounce through doorways and around corners. Making this signal stronger does not significantly improve problems in black spots.

I have personally classed these long antennae in with other products like go-fast ram with heatsinks or racing stripes on cars- i.e. they look kinda neat but they don't really do anything.

Last edited by jgl; 11-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast