PCCW FTTH - How to deal with bad contracts/setup fees?

Closed Thread

PCCW FTTH - How to deal with bad contracts/setup fees?

Hi, So I am planning to move to HK and I have been led to believe PCCW offers the most quality internet, but I have heard bad things about big setup fees and long contracts. If I am not sure how long I will be staying, is there a good way to get out of this stuff? HKBN and 3 fiber both look ok, but I am really trying to get the highest quality internet possible (need low pings for gaming). If I am totally wrong here please let me know!

I have seen a few people offering to transfer their PCCW contract, is this usually a free deal? If I get a contract from someone else it will reduce the length and setup fees. What are the normal length of contracts? Is it possible to get no contract or short (such as 6 months or less) contract? Also I guess if I find a house that already contains PCCW fiber then I don't need to pay a setup fee, is this correct?

Where are the games servers, and what ping times are you hoping for?

Hopefully like 30 to singapore, 55 to japan and 175 to the US (west coast). That is my experience with using a HK VPN from pacnet anyway. At worst case I could always keep using the VPN from HKBN if it isn't good, but I want to figure out if I can get around all the PCCW rules and regulations.

I get 180ms to US West Coast world of Warcraft servers, using a village broadband connection (around 6mb dl)

Wow not bad at all, but I presume that is still PCCW ADSL right? So PCCW fiber should be like 165. What do people get when using HKBN or Three fiber?

What sort of gaming? I play Eve sometimes but never have any lag unless CCP forgets to open a socket.

guild wars 2, battlefield 4, maybe a little rust. Stuff that is real time and quite lag sensitive..

Just as graphic intensive I imagine although know nothing about them. I have never had a lag problem and I am on PCCW.