Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Boris
  • 1 Post By geo-seb

Prezi - do you use it?

Closed Thread

Prezi - do you use it?

Many of us use powerpoint but has anyone had success with Prezi?

Why would you want to when, if you take the time to learn animation in PPT, you can do all this and much more.

Most people denigrate PPT because all they see is a slide with harsh colour backgrounds, lots of text that the presenter reads from and some over enlarged blurred images.

MS spends a lot of money developing PPT ( the office suite in general as well of course ) but 95% of people just don't take the time to take advantage of all the cool stuff it, and the rest of the office suite or the add ons, can do.

I made a cartoon intro to a website with PPT that ran about 20 seconds and then ( with a PPT add on ) converted it to a flash movie. PPT is so NOT what people think. If I want to do a conference call I use Wiziq virtual classroom and that runs PPT WITH native animations -- on a whiteboard and its FREE.

Looking at their pricing ( the pro version ) -- EXPENSIVE !!!
    I just bought a T100 with Office Home and Student 2013 FREE, so even their FREE offering is overpriced on abilities.
    Look at what you get for 365 including sharepoint and skydrive and you have to be demented to even consider it.............Maybe not if you are an Apple fan because they are starved of REAL business software.

Nice video on their website though.

INXS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Why would you want to when, if you take the time to learn animation in PPT, you can do all this and much more.

Most people denigrate PPT because all they see is a slide with harsh colour backgrounds, lots of text that the presenter reads from and some over enlarged blurred images.

MS spends a lot of money developing PPT ( the office suite in general as well of course ) but 95% of people just don't take the time to take advantage of all the cool stuff it, and the rest of the office suite or the add ons, can do.

I made a cartoon intro to a website with PPT that ran about 20 seconds and then ( with a PPT add on ) converted it to a flash movie. PPT is so NOT what people think. If I want to do a conference call I use Wiziq virtual classroom and that runs PPT WITH native animations -- on a whiteboard and its FREE.

Looking at their pricing ( the pro version ) -- EXPENSIVE !!!
    I just bought a T100 with Office Home and Student 2013 FREE, so even their FREE offering is overpriced on abilities.
    Look at what you get for 365 including sharepoint and skydrive and you have to be demented to even consider it.............Maybe not if you are an Apple fan because they are starved of REAL business software.

Nice video on their website though.
    Agreed. I use PowerPoint everyday. I make interactive games for my students, use videos and animations...It's funny, I use PowerPoint t provide the backbone for all of my lessons and I've heard some people joke, "Your lessons must be really boring!"...that tells me they haven't tapped the power or PowerPoint or they've been unlucky to attend presentations by people who don't know how to use it...

I tried Prezi, but noticed that the audience tends get distracted by the animations and doesn't focus on the points I want to bring across. Went back to what works best: plain and simple slides. In the rare cases when that is not sufficient, I prefer to use screen-casts or flash animations.

Last edited by geo-seb; 19-03-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    jgl likes this.

Speaking of tools to help with graphic design, I just, and I mean just around 20 minutes ago, discovered canva.
    Pretty handy and you can do a lot for free with it.
    https://www.canva.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Not really into flashy graphics but the slick transitions in Prezi may convey an idea of space / time which could help with a journey through a presentation where it is not a linear progression in relity.
    Last edited by East_coast; 19-03-2014 at 11:45 PM.