Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kimwy66

Internal DVD drive faliure

Closed Thread

Internal DVD drive faliure

My VAIO notebook's internal DVD drive has suddenly stopped playing all DVDs' ( they played previously)

The DVD icon appears normally in the Menu . I tried updating drivers and did a DVD uninstall and reinstall all to no effect. I downloaded a microsoft programme which analysed the problem as " no readable media" despite a disk in the tray. Likewise the VIAO troubleshooter came back as no readable media.

The DVD does not sound like it is spinning up at all - just a soft single click sound.

My questions if someone could help:

Any other fix i could try?

If the DVD hardware has failed is it worthwhile to get Sony repair centre to attempt a replace- or do repairs tend to be not worth it.

IN case i dont repair it any recommendation for an external compatable DVD .I dont need anything fancy. Just to watch movies .I dont write DVD's.

Thanks for any pointers.

Just get yourself an external DVD or BLuray player. The cost will be less than replacing the internal one. and more useful.

If you want a bluray drive I recommend this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Or this one for just DVDs
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SE-2...cp_computers_2

Or if you are handy with a screw driver, replace it yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...480%2Ck%3Avaio

Last edited by kimwy66; 05-04-2014 at 10:41 AM.
    flameproof likes this.

Best option is to transition out of DVDs, as with most newer notebooks and tablets nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    My VAIO notebook's internal DVD drive has suddenly stopped playing all DVDs' ( they played previously)

The DVD icon appears normally in the Menu . I tried updating drivers and did a DVD uninstall and reinstall all to no effect. I downloaded a microsoft programme which analysed the problem as " no readable media" despite a disk in the tray. Likewise the VIAO troubleshooter came back as no readable media.

The DVD does not sound like it is spinning up at all - just a soft single click sound.

If the DVD hardware has failed is it worthwhile to get Sony repair centre to attempt a replace- or do repairs tend to be not worth it.

IN case i dont repair it any recommendation for an external compatable DVD .I dont need anything fancy. Just to watch movies .I dont write DVD's.

Thanks for any pointers.
    external dvd are inexpensive, esp in HK, pointless ordering outside hk, postage cost more than the dvd drive

print the model u want from this site

http://www.price.com.hk/category.php?c=100022&sort=4

panasonic,buffalo and imation looks inexpensive

go to this place and price quote from website ( for cheapest prices)

if you are in hk island

http://www.foresoon.com.hk/index.php...ex&language=en

if you are in kowloon

http://www.comdex.com.hk/1/contact.php

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:

Thanks for any pointers.
    if you computer is not really old, chances is that the len is dirty and some 100% isopropol alcohol ( look for cd/dvd cleaners, with a disc and separate liquid solution) cost around HK$20-30

a quick clean, not too much alcohol and gentle circle motion with cotton buds ( u may have to repeat if the lint goes on the lens) then wait 15 mins for alcohol to dry

i have done this with many dvd players, dvd drives, ps2, ps1, pc engine duo, gamecube high end audiophile cd players, etc, works 99% of time

this time of year, high humidity ( condensation on lens) and dusty room or even air pollution in the air may cause this

Thanks all for very useful overview and tips . In my job we still I get a lot of technical material for review as a dvd so the format still useful to me : thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    external dvd are inexpensive, esp in HK, pointless ordering outside hk, postage cost more than the dvd drive

Not true in the case of the Samsung 3D bluray model I linked. On price.com.hk it is $1100HKD. On amazon.co.uk with tax taken off and postage added it is $887. I recommend that because the OP would be able to watch bluray, no point in limiting themselves to an out-dated format. And the Samsung is one of very, very few to be USB3.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Not true in the case of the Samsung 3D bluray model I linked. On price.com.hk it is $1100HKD. On amazon.co.uk with tax taken off and postage added it is $887. I recommend that because the OP would be able to watch bluray, no point in limiting themselves to an out-dated format. And the Samsung is one of very, very few to be USB3.
    the op doesn't want bluray, also quite limited usage for a external bluray for pc,

worst thing, amazon uk is region coding B for bluray, hk like japan and us is region A, thus, useless to watch bluray if you have buy imported bluray, when locally ones, or commonly available us and japan bluray in HK, unlike uk pal region a (though a few are region free nowadays)

external bluray for pc have limited usage, ie, 99% of programs on dvd-rom, 1%bluray, 1%cd rom, not even a remote or limited connectivity, ie, only usb, sata or maybe even thunderbolt

where as dedicated bluray player for tv cost from HK$700 as also simplier to use and has remote, better connectivity

or better than that a ps3 ( used) cost around HK$800 for 1st gen or newer ps3 cost HK$1000, even new cost HK$1600, secondary usage as bluray player is much better than an external
    Last edited by imparanoic; 05-04-2014 at 03:48 PM.

yes, i do import things (from all over the world), rare games, bluray and dvd, even electronics but only availability is limited or none in HK as well BUT i also look for other disadvantages, ie, voltage,. region or connectivity, language,

also things do get lost in the post esp internationally sent, thus, you have to consider is worth sending something when there is a small chance of getting lost, when locally purchase make so much sense

also note, bluray is not dvd, capacity is up to 50gb, dvd are max 9gb (not including the very rare double sided, double tracked dvds)

Last edited by imparanoic; 05-04-2014 at 03:53 PM.