Good places to buy inexpensive laptops?

Closed Thread

Good places to buy inexpensive laptops?

I'm going to have to say goodbye to my reliable '09 laptop today. It's been running on fumes for a while - the hard drive sounds like a lawn mower and I have to move the screen back and forward to get it to show anything - but it's been a reliable little computer, esp. since I spent around $300 US for it and got more than 5 years use out of it. But it still runs XP, and that's going away... it's got enough other problems to not consider changing the OS.
    So I'm curious where a good place is to go to look at new laptops. I'm looking for something inexpensive and small - the old netbooks were my favorites, though they don't seem to make them any more. I've wondered around in the Fortress and Suning stores. Pondered heading down to the Mong Kok computer center, but wondered what other options are.
    I live near CUHK, so places in Shatin or along the East Rail Line are best, going into Kowloon is also easy. Going over to HK island is less convenient but if a place as a particularly good selection and good prices I'd be up for that.
    thanks in advance!

Sham Shui Po, Golden Centre.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

sham shui po golden centre is slightly cheaper

Mong Kok Computer Centre Shopping centre
    8 Nelson Street, in Mong Kok is also a good place

what is your budget

this seems good

http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=160532

http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=143365

Thanks, I'll check out the Sham Shui Po center (or 'centre'), and the Mong Kok one too if I make it down there. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    Thanks, I'll check out the Sham Shui Po center (or 'centre'), and the Mong Kok one too if I make it down there. Much appreciated.
    I bought one of those Acers, the i3 a year ago for that price (It was a Canadian grey if that makes a difference) ... should be cheaper than that now. That said, it's a great little machine...my only bugbear is the battery life which is appalling and serves me to remind you to check reviews of any laptop before you buy it.

Never having made it to Sham Shui Po, I did finally get my butt over to the Mong Kok Computer Center (or 'centre') yesterday.
    Pleasant surprise: the same laptop was $320 cheaper there than it was at Fortress.
    Less pleasant surprise: it's still cheaper in the states.
    This one doesn't seem to be loaded up with ads, bloatware, etc., that may have driven down the US price - I know the last time that I tried to get a netbook in the states I wound up with an Acer that had so much crap on it that I never could get it to work acceptably.

Ebay US. Things are getting way too expensive in Hong Kong nowadays unless you're buying Apple.