Like Tree7Likes

New laptop recommendations

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    I am talking about a lifespan of 6-10 years.
    Not sure air offers that.

Not only ram upgrade but all kind of things, easy access to HDD, keyboard exchange, display, even frame parts
    I used to buy parts on ebay and exchange them.
    10 years!?
    Technology probably changed entirely by then.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    10 years!?
    Technology probably changed entirely by then.

Sent from my SM-N900 using GeoClicks mobile app
    actually, a decent powerful computer nowadays have longevity due to plateau in performance (any more powerful, to average user, no much difference in everyday user, unless you're a gamer, graphic artist, etc)

ie, medium - high end laptop of 2007-08 ( ie, intel dual core duo) can easily run windows 8 with little performance issue, if had only 2gb ram, upgradable ram will improve performance though, presumable window 8 will last the next 8 years or so

on the other hand, solder ram and hdd limits your options.
    jgl, Morrison and shri like this.

The new MS Surface Pro 3 looks interesting but won't be available in HK until Q3/Q4.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenChan:
    The new MS Surface Pro 3 looks interesting but won't be available in HK until Q3/Q4.
    like with the 2nd gen and 1st gen, after 6 months of release, a price cut probably be needed as people don't seem to like surface, the standard surface using RT seems dead on arrival and may join zune soon

ASUS T100 as good as surface pro, inc office 2013, cheaper than the castrated RT. Includes a detachable "proper keyboard".

I BIG HEART MINE XXXX

FYI ... this compliments my original post, early morning, without coffee and running out the door. Apologies for grammar and inaccuracy.

Last edited by Boris; 12-06-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    If you need one immediately then - loads of a selection at the usual suspects, if you can wait a month or two there is a new range coming from ASUS which included a larger updates version ( and very thin ) of the T10 tablet and detachable keyboard. It's larger and more laptop size and thin like the Air but runs Win8 on a fast chipset.
    Do you have a link to the new Asus range?

"Just like the screws, all the components—including the RAM and SSD—are proprietary, making replacement parts more difficult to source."

And probably double as pricey

I think that makes air a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    "Just like the screws, all the components—including the RAM and SSD—are proprietary, making replacement parts more difficult to source."

And probably double as pricey

I think that makes air a no go.
    pentalobe screws and screwdrivers ( star shaped) !!

not just proprietary, also solder to the motherboard.

price wise, there are not too bad for the specs, but there is really no upgrade options, but a few workarounds, ie, using sd card slot as ssd

I was a PC man for years and then I finally gave in and got a Mac and an iPad. Love the iPad but would swap it in a heartbeat for a similarly priced win 8 tablet with 4g...The Mac, I had many ups and downs with it, loving it, hating it...after a year with it I've settled on: It's no better or worse than a PC, it's just different...the only difference is the price and to me, that makes it a rip-off.

If you want a work horse and reliable laptop go for Lenovo. For me, my next laptops won't be, I'll be buying win 8.1 tablets with keyboards.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prefab Sprout:
    For me, my next laptops won't be, I'll be buying win 8.1 tablets with keyboards.
    This was rather my point about technology changing in 10 years. It's not about the change in laptop technology; its about changes that may make laptops themselves redundant.

personally I cannot see myself moving to a tablet+keyboard any time soon, but I recognise that may change easily with changing tablet+keyboard designs, and it's the tablets that are currently evolving the fastest.

10 years ago tablets were "a stupid idea" ... I read an oped piece somewhere saying they would "never catch on".... (Can't recall exact date, but it was before the iPad!). And then the iPad and then the world changed.

I still recall seeing my first iPhone. I didn't really see what the fuss was all about; but everyone around me (we were in a restaurant with a group) was like "wow... wow... that's amazing". And now look!

What's next? Holographic interfaces like you see on sci-fi shows? Decent speech interfaces that make typing redundant? All the realm of science fiction or actually only a few years away?

See this for an example of how we really don't know what will catch on in the future! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ed-regret.html

And this review of one of the first tablets from 11 years ago... boy have things changed here!

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/note..._xp_tablet.htm
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 13-06-2014 at 02:39 PM.