Like Tree7Likes

Help! Village House Can't Get PCCW or NOW

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Have you tried asking about phone services? I'm not an expert on ADSL, but I thought if you had a phone you could get it... someone more technical may be able to comment!
    The distance from the house to the telephone exchange has a big effect on whether the line can support ADSL. Would be perhaps useful for the OP to talk to neighbours and see if this is the factor, or whether it is just a capacity issue - this does happen in some villages, particularly if there has been recent developments.
    shri likes this.

So the higher level tech came by. I asked what the problem was since there is a phone line downstairs. He showed be blueprints of our area and said the phone line was put in years ago and ran over top of various buildings. It would be too dangerous for the tech to run the new wiring to my unit t this way. Good news was he walked the property (which is very large) and found an old phone wiring box that was covered by a bunch of bushes. He called in to his office and was told it can still be used (ie. It had the correct wiring and just had to be activated). Long story short I should be good to go in a week or so! He said one of the main issues with NT is it's all private property. Sometime when u need to run wiring over someone elses land, the other owner will deny the request. Thanks again for everyone's help!

HK_Katherine, shri and emx like this.

I also live in a village house. The technician pulled a copper wire from the nearest pole and into the house. I pay more than city people for an inferior 6M plan that about 2M on the speed test

Btw. Internet cuts during heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Just an update to my situation. So I took a day off on Tues to wait for the PCCW sifu to come by and pull the wire into the house. The sales girl said he'd come by between 10pm - 2pm. So I waited and no one came. No call, nothing, nada. I called in and they checked and told me that there was something wrong with the box. I told them the higher level tech confirmed it was okay. They said that the box needed repair and they didn't know how long it would take. So back to wait game again. I can't believe I have to go thru all this just for 8M!

Quote Originally Posted by RFitz:
    Just an update to my situation. So I took a day off on Tues to wait for the PCCW sifu to come by and pull the wire into the house. The sales girl said he'd come by between 10pm - 2pm. So I waited and no one came. No call, nothing, nada. I called in and they checked and told me that there was something wrong with the box. I told them the higher level tech confirmed it was okay. They said that the box needed repair and they didn't know how long it would take. So back to wait game again. I can't believe I have to go thru all this just for 8M!
    PCCW are known for just letting people wait at home expecting the techs to arrive and not even bothering to let them know if there has been any changes.

Monopoly at its best

So after days of non stop calling they finally managed to install the line and I now have Internet and now tv! The speedtest results average around 4.5Mbps so I'm happy with that as I don't do heavy bandwidth intensive stuff online. Bottom line with pccw is to keep hounding them until they get stuff done!

wtbhotia and justjoe86 like this.

Congrats! Guess it pays to keep at it and never give up!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks