Like Tree1Likes

IMac Repair

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

According to that KB they will pay regardless. I just took it in and sure enough is video card but they said my serial number DHJW doesn't qualify for free replacement, even though I've seen elsewhere that it does. Needless to say, I'll be complaining to Applecare as legally I don't think they have a leg to stand on based on the terms in the KB.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    According to that KB they will pay regardless. I just took it in and sure enough is video card but they said my serial number DHJW doesn't qualify for free replacement, even though I've seen elsewhere that it does. Needless to say, I'll be complaining to Applecare as legally I don't think they have a leg to stand on based on the terms in the KB.

You think you know more about legal stuff and wording than Apple's legal team.......?

If the serial numbers of your iMac is not within the replacement program, then that means it's NOT the batch of iMacs that has the known video card issue.

As an approx 4 year old iMac, as with any electronic product, parts can fail. Why do you think there is a limited span of time for the warranty?

Seriously, you will be the one with no leg to stand on.

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

If you read the KB it clearly states the model and spec I have is covered. Where in the KB does it say anything about the serial numbers? The guy at the apple store even agreed I should be covered when he saw the KB but his system says otherwise.

i presume that a new video graphics card will cost at least HK$3500 to replace by apple?

HK$3300!!!

If you read the KB it clearly states the model and spec I have is covered. Where in the KB does it say anything about the serial numbers? The guy at the apple store even agreed I should be covered when he saw the KB but his system says otherwise.

Your model is determined by the batch code of the serial number, the manufacturer of the graphics card (ATi) reported that the videos cards used in the iMacs for SPECIFIC had a problem, hence this replacement program. And not all of that specific model is covered, only those of the batch(es) that had the video cards with the known problem.

Repair service has ALWAYS been deemed by serial number, and never a KB article.

It's like the current iPhone5 sleep button quality program, in a reverse way, even if your serial number qualifies, if your sleep button has no fault, there's no repair.

In your case, if I remember correctly, even if your serial number qualifies, a specific video test needs to be ran and shown as failed. A generic failure of the graphics card does not qualify, that's just wear and tear.

I distinctly remember receiving an email from Apple about this issue (I also have a 2011 27" iMac) and I had to go through a process of entering my iMac's serial number to determine if I was eligible for a replacement card.

Sorry statman, it doesn't look good for getting a replacement card if your serial number doesn't match the affected batch.

Now, you might have a case that Apple haven't communicated the situation clearly enough and it's worth a go to raise a complaint ticket / make a fuss directly through an Apple Store. However I don't fancy your chances.

HK$3300!!!

that's a huge premium for a computer component, but there again apple components are never cheap

My iMac did fail the video test, does have the qualifying serial number and meets all the criteria specified, hence my frustration. I'm not one to raise problems where i'm not entitled to anything and was well prepared to fork out for this until I heard of the replacement program.

Anyway, will call applecare tomorrow as advised by the genius bar and see what they say.