netvigator problem

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

netvigator problem

Before moving to a village house i was on the fiber optic package and had no problem at all but since moving to the village my package got changed to 8mb and ever since i have had problems with it. The tech guys from PCCW came to have a look plenty of times and they said there is nothing wrong, so i am hoping someone here can help me out.

It seems like my connection is not stable or a firewall is blocking access to servers.
    I will give a few examples:

- now and again when trying to browse the web, the page does not load up and i have to keep refreshing the page till it finally loads and sometimes pictures does not load, which i also need to refresh the page several times.

- when trying to stream football live, i have to keep refreshing the page till it connects to the server but sometimes it does not connect so i have to find another link.

- the most important is online gaming on the ps/xbox, it connects online just fine but connecting to servers is a problem, i have done all the port forwarding, dmz etc and no luck. when it does connect to a game server (EA server for fifa) it matches me with players across the world which is a lag fest.

Before i thought it was because other people in the flat are also connected to the modem which could be causing a problem but when it is just 1 device it is still the same

any networking genius can help?

Thanks

what router are you using

do you have many BT jobs in the background

I presume you are using a wired connection as opposed to a wifi connection?

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy1234:
    what router are you using

do you have many BT jobs in the background
    Standard netvigator router. BT jobs?

Yes wired.

Welcome to the village life with crappy internet, even though they say its 8mb, what the PCCW Tech that my mrs knows says its usually max 6Mb so if you have many machines on Wifi connect, downloading stuff on BT, looking at internet tv box then your internet will be very very slow.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Welcome to the village life with crappy internet, even though they say its 8mb, what the PCCW Tech that my mrs knows says its usually max 6Mb so if you have many machines on Wifi connect, downloading stuff on BT, looking at internet tv box then your internet will be very very slow.
    i am not too concerned about the speed, its fine to watch movies and stream live football once it actually connects to the server but its connecting to servers thats the problem.

download the ping monitor utility (freeware)
    PingInfoView - Ping to multiple host names/IP addresses

in the ping options, input :
    address list to ping : "www.google.com
    ping again every...: 10sec

observe the results

download the ping monitor utility (freeware)
    PingInfoView - Ping to multiple host names/IP addresses

in the ping options, input :
    address list to ping : "www.google.com
    ping again every...: 10sec

observe the results
    heres the results:

Name:  ping.png
Views: 571
Size:  18.5 KB

i tried ping test on Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test awhile ago but it says i cannot connect to server because a firewall is blocking or something.

ping test result is not that bad, I would say normal (I am using three 10M boardband, the ping time is in the range of 3 to 127ms)

you may try to use the google DNS server on your route setting : 8.8.8.8

instead of the PCCW DNS server

does it looks better

ping test result is not that bad, I would say normal (I am using three 10M boardband, the ping time is in the range of 3 to 127ms)

you may try to use the google DNS server on your route setting : 8.8.8.8

instead of the PCCW DNS server

does it looks better
    how do i do that?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast