Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rob2020

Custom build desktop gaming pc

Closed Thread

Custom build desktop gaming pc

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to assemble a new desktop gaming PC. What I will do is to buy the parts from the computer shop and let them assemble.

Do you know any reputable stores that have affordable prices?

By the way, do you have any suggestions so the desktop setup will be space-saving, e.g, building an mini ITX build, space saver table, etc.? Can I also put the cpu in the carry bagge in airplanes?

Thanks.

Regards,
    DJ Tron

What is your budget?

Centralfield in Sham Shui Po is my go to place, basement or 2nd floor, they have a lot of stores, the sales there wont be annoyed even if you boggle them with questions..

off the top of my head for mini ITX or Micro ATX

Bitfenix Pheonom

You can squeeze a enthusiast platform with high end 1150 CPU and a GTX780TI. As for airline security, I don't think they will let you bring it as carry on, but should be able to check it in as luggage, you can always call up your airline and ask just to make sure.

My tip: don't go for space saving!

My previous two desktops were Shuttle brand, small case and all that, great!
    UNTIL, you want to change parts, you are extremely limited.

You're much better off getting a larger case which will allow you to put in whatever you want in the future

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    My tip: don't go for space saving!

My previous two desktops were Shuttle brand, small case and all that, great!
    UNTIL, you want to change parts, you are extremely limited.

You're much better off getting a larger case which will allow you to put in whatever you want in the future
    shuttle are great for general users, but gamers require bi-annual updates, not ideal on shuttle.

I like my shuttle xpc, but I am not a pc gamer.

I'm not even a gamer, but I do like to tinker, and SFF's (Small Form Factor) PC's are not for tinkering

let me expand, SFF's are not even for maintenance/upgrading as they often use proprietary parts, Shuttle even use custom fans!

Last edited by Rob2020; 22-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I'm not even a gamer, but I do like to tinker, and SFF's (Small Form Factor) PC's are not for tinkering

let me expand, SFF's are not even for maintenance/upgrading as they often use proprietary parts, Shuttle even use custom fans!
    sounds like you like what you do to pc's what I like doing to hifi's - tinkering

yes, but at least, shuttle parts ( ram and HDD) are not deliberately soldered on the motherboard and have special screws like other super premium priced fruit named ssf/desktops, or even worse the components are standard apart from proprietary sockets

I'll second Centralfield in Sham Shui Po, just had a good excuse to go spending there last week after my motherboard decided that any HD plugged into it was only 4MB in size.

I find its good to go with an idea of what you want and alternatives, staff for me have offered decent advice usually offering what I'd already figured is a possible alternative to my 1st choice.

What is your budget?

Although a ITX build is nice, I don't think you could go for high end gaming, since an high end graphics card generates a lot of heat (not to mention the card itself is usually pretty long)

The cables inside can also hinder the heat dissipation.

I think with an ITX build you could go for slightly better than average gaming at best.

Would you consider "Origin"? This company produces good gaming laptops.

You could build a mini itx with a full sized psu/video card like using a corsair 380T chassis but I don't know if they are easily available in HK.