Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adore

Surface pro 3

Closed Thread

Surface pro 3

Been a pc user most if my life and recently changed to a macbook air.

After 4 months, its been alright but not great. Thinking of going back to the Redmond way of things.

Been looking at the surface line and would appreciate any first hand feedback...

I had the original surface RTfor about a week and sold it. I then had the surface pro 3, core i7 for about 2 months. I still didn't like the keyboard enough to keep it. From a productivity standpoint it was annoying. For media consumption and Web surfing it was great but not worth the price just for that functionality. Battery was great.

Looking to get a Lenovo yoga 3 pro now.

Hard to Make a Decision

I am also looking at an ultra portable Windows notebook.

I am leaning towards the Surface Pro 3, but the keyboard does concern me. I would like to use the Surface Pro 3 as a laptop/desktop replacement, but if typing lots of paperwork, will the keyboard be comfortable and productive enough?

The other ones I am looking at are Samsung Ativ Book 9+, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and Lenovo X240.

I hear that Samsung will be getting out of the notebook business soon, so even though that notebook is beautifully engineered, I hesitate on buying any device that will be discontinued soon.

The Lenovo Yoga seems nice and has a reasonable keyboard. But it seems a bit cheap to me when I hold it. Though it can serve as both a laptop and tablet.

The Lenovo X240 is a great standard laptop, and for business productivity might be the best choice. It's rock solid and durable, and the keyboard is really nice. However, it's just a bit old fashion and less portable than the Surface Pro 3.

It's really hard to make a decision on which to get. I wish the Surface Pro 3 had a better keyboard and was included instead of as an add-on.

Don't quote me on this, but you don't necessarily need to use the Microsoft Surface keyboards. Any Bluetooth keyboard should work. The Microsoft ones are intended for portability like a notebook, but if you're using it primarily at home or minimal travel, then a different stand and keyboard would work fine.

jimbo likes this.

A good idea.

But feels like the keyboard is the deal breaker for the Surface Pro 3. Adding a third party keyboard seems bulky and inelegant. Kind of the whole idea of getting the Surface Pro 3 as a laptop replacement includes integration with a tailored/designed keyboard for the tablet.

I tried the keyboard and dont mind it too much.

When I'm at a desk, I will have a normal keyboard, mouse (and maybe a screen), when on the road, I'll put up with the keyboard. It seems workable.

I didnt know about the Yoga, I'll take a good look at it.

There are rumours that MS might be releasing a 13-14 inch Surface Pro. Might be good to hold-out on a decision if you prefer something larger.

ive been digging my older asus for a while now, after i swapped in an SSD... some of the new ones looks nice,,, Notebooks & Ultrabooks - Thin & Light - ASUS

I have an ASUS laptop from 2005 that's still running nearly a decade ago. That's the good news. But the bad news about every ASUS laptop I ever used (from a friend or family member) is that they get really hot. Even after swapping a SSD like you did, it still feels really hot after some use. Too hot for the lap. At least that's my experience.