Like Tree8Likes

MacAir life expectancy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MacAir life expectancy

what's your experience ?
    Will it last for let's say 5 years without hardware issues, battery aside,

I have very good experience with Toshiba and Fujitsu.
    Anyone knows where I can find a good choice of the smaller versions
    that they mainly sell in Japan?

Been to Wanchai puter mart today

And what about OS software updates,
    does Apple play the same trick as with his iphones ?

I got a solid 4 + yrs out of my last one.
    No crashing or software problems. Very stable.Was able to get all the latest updates to work.
    The battery was getting shorter and shorter life, but I could have replaced it.
    I upgraded to get the additional memory (1st gen had limited memory) as I had maxed it out.

Morrison likes this.

Mine is approx 4 years to date and still using it. More likely to replace due to wanting newer and faster than because it actually dies. I have an older macbook pro that's closer to 7 years old and still works fine.

Morrison likes this.

They are pretty damn good with their updates. Primarily because there are no major quantum leaps in processor speed - infact the processors are getting a little bit slower and lower power consumption if anything else.

Mine is going strong after 4 years, running the latest OS. 2 years in my use and 2 years as the son's school laptop.

We did have some weird battery issues - thought the battery needed replacing, but the guys at the store did some hardware resets over a year ago and no problems. Was told that on an average the battery could handle 1000+ charge / discharge cycles (could be more ... the number 1000 stuck in my mind... after about 2 years of use, the count was at 400ish).

Last edited by shri; 10-11-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Morrison and imparanoic like this.

Shri, that would have been an SMC reset. You can Google it and do it yourself at home.

I find most Macs last a good 4-5 years now, with the easiest component to fail first being the battery of hard disk (the conventional one as opposed to SSDs), but these are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

OS wise, sure you're gonna get new features, and battery enhancements with firmware updates, but there isn't anything forcing to you to update, except for iPad and iPhone above iPhone 5 which requires an iTunes version which requires at least 10.6.8 (snow leopard). I still see plenty of older Macs still running on older OS (10.6, 10.7, 10.8) with no problems and no need to update.

Shri, that would have been an SMC reset. You can Google it and do it yourself at home.
    Yeah .. but my son refuses to accept that I'm better than a 'Genius'

2 places in 298 Centre much cheaper and better selection than Wan Chai Centre, although know what you want as the one on the upper floor is really rude if you don't.
    Also try Sham Shui Po, Golden Plaza I think it's called called, it's about 2 blocks east of Golden Centre.
    If you want to risk it, there's a lot started being sold in Sin Tat but for gods sake check it out inside an out as they will likely have swapped out the components for the cheapest they can.

Morrison likes this.

I've got a 2007 Mac book Pro, which I've had the hard disk replaced with an SSD. As an experiment I've installed the latest OS (Yosemite) on it and still functions well. It just lags from time to time because the the hard drive bus is slow and cannot keep up with the SSD transfer speeds.

The battery on it has long gone, so I've removed it and it's permanently attached to a magsafe adapter at home, perfect for the missus to surf the net and check her emails.

well, I have encountered many apps on eye-phone/eye-pod touch that I can't download because they req. OS7 or higher.
    So I was wondering whether older laptop models are good for the latest OS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast