Like Tree2Likes

SmarTone Fibre Broadband

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SmarTone Fibre Broadband

Has anyone experienced or, indeed, installed SmarTone's new GPON Fibre server? Despite living in a brand new building in CWB, PCCW only offer me 8mbps and it's simply not cutting it. Not keen on HKBN or i-cable so hoping this turns out to be a worthy contender!

Original Post Deleted
    I would not be surprised if HKBN are leasing lines to Smartone.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpride:
    Has anyone experienced or, indeed, installed SmarTone's new GPON Fibre server? Despite living in a brand new building in CWB, PCCW only offer me 8mbps and it's simply not cutting it. Not keen on HKBN or i-cable so hoping this turns out to be a worthy contender!
    Had the same problem with PCW's overpriced 8mbps and transfered to HKBB 500 fibre service for $228 a month.

Touch wood, no problems so far.

I agree with pin. I don't think Smartone has their own wired / fiber infrastructure. The only two contenders are PCCW / HKBN (and may be HGC) and for obvious reasons, Smartone would not be partnering with PCCW / HGC (Hutchison - the dad's company).

I have PCCW fiber 1000 m for about 350HKD per month. I think with them if you have access to fiber it's ok. But I heard people paying almost as much for crappy connection 8m since it was not available.

That seems logical. I did think it unlikely that they had rolled out fibre infrastructure so extensively and quickly. Interesting that Smartone market their service as "Hong Kong’s only fixed broadband service provider with 100% fibre to the home..." clearly just marketing spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I have PCCW fiber 1000 m for about 350HKD per month. I think with them if you have access to fiber it's ok. But I heard people paying almost as much for crappy connection 8m since it was not available.
    Yeah I pay $298 for 8mbps - it's a joke. I'd happily pay 350 for PCCW fiber, since most of my traffic is from overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by jpride:
    Yeah I pay $298 for 8mbps - it's a joke. I'd happily pay 350 for PCCW fiber, since most of my traffic is from overseas.
    We pay the same because 8mb is the fastest you can get in da villages, some expats have worked with pccw to gather names and ask for them to lay fiber, the expats are willing to pay upgrade fees which will help pccw for the installation and upgrades.

I would not really be surprised if HKBN and Smartone merged in the near future. Three has HGC, PCCW/Netvigator has csl, only Smartone and China Mobile are missing fixed broadband players.

That's one of the thing I checked when I was visiting flats, I wanted to be sure Fiber was available. Even on the same street some building might not have it, the landlords need to pay something to get the fiber set up for the building.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast