Like Tree24Likes

Village broadband

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Question Village broadband

Hey guys,

I made a thread two years or more but there's been no change in the situation; our village which is located 2 minutes walk from the Yuen Long West rail station is still without fibre or any other forms of non PCCW fixed line broadband. 4G prices seem to have gone up and with small usage allowances too so going that route is not ideal.
    I have been doing some research but I've hit a dead end. In the UK, the government has pledged money and set out plans on superfast BB rollout, is there anything like that in HK? As I said, my own research has not led to anywhere so if someone has an insight I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

dossier likes this.

People used to live just fine with 56k adsl internet, or even with no internet connection. There's really nothing wrong with the 6mb PCCW connection. If your life really needs something faster, then look to move to somewhere that has cable broadband.

And no, there's no rollout of faster broadband for the villages of HK. There's no incentive for the tycoons to do it, and why should the village chiefs care?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Mate, people also once said that horse and cart is the fastest thing on earth. Point being?

I asked a specific question because I was hoping to get a relevant answer. If I wanted to get sarcastic and useless comments I'd just look on twitter or facebook.

Oh dear

Proplus said it as it is.
    No incentives for the tycoons to upgrade the lines here.

And if you want high speed then don't live in the villages. Cheaper rent yes but the payoff is not much choice in broadband and limited speed.

imparanoic likes this.

I asked if there were any announced plans or timelines. Obviously they go for the high yield of return investments first and villages will be last. But villages in HK are still packed like sardines so eventually it will profitable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dcwt2010:
    I asked if there were any announced plans or timelines. Obviously they go for the high yield of return investments first and villages will be last. But villages in HK are still packed like sardines so eventually it will profitable enough.
    Enjoy your wait then. If you think villages are packed, relate to buildings in MK, SSP and TST even, they are even more densely packed (and that's before looking at sublet divided apartments and cage homes), and even most of those buildings don't have fast broadband.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Not as simple as that, firstly the WHOLE village (home owners) has to agree and then pay for fibre to and throughout the village (all houses) at once, not one at a time. So unless the village has a huge majority of expat home owners, the chances that local village owners are interested in high speed fibre are zip.

Unless you are willing to fit the whole install bill for the village yourself, you have a very long wait ahead.
    imparanoic likes this.

The main reason why PCCW doesn't offer fast internet is because it's almost impossible to get a digging permit. If you live in a village yourself you should know it's rather complicated. (from local villagers owning their own piece of land, to fengshui and their ancestors graves)

I heard from a PCCW guy they once acquired digging rights in a Sai Kung village, the other requirement was a minimum of 20 subscribers who had to pay I believe 10k installation fees each ( I don't remember the exact price, it could be more) Don't know about you, but I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for faster internet when others in the city get the upgrade for free.

Your question was asked in Legco and the governments reply below
    LCQ19: Broadband Internet access services
    Last edited by East_coast; 04-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.

a few of the neighbouring villages in clear water bay got 30M lines installed after one of the expat guys discussed with some high up person in PCCW, he had to get at least I think it was like 50 people to sign up interest in the upgrade and if they agreed to each pay something like 600-700 bucks for the installation, monthly fee would be like 300 something, after a year they finally did manage to get it, lucky bustards and I'm still at snail pace 6M line but its still acceptable, only drawback is MaigeTV takes a while for some channels to load or some channels stutter.

imparanoic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast