HKBN

Hey guys i wanna ask something i have been using pccw netvigator internet and is HKBN internet for doubling the speed or it's just like pccw netvigator ? because in my old house i have been using 8gb unlimited internet speed and i want to use faster internet.

Quote Originally Posted by velozerhd:
    Hey guys i wanna ask something i have been using pccw netvigator internet and is HKBN internet for doubling the speed or it's just like pccw netvigator ? because in my old house i have been using 8gb unlimited internet speed and i want to use faster internet.
    They both provide the same service, "Internet Provider". The speeds they can deliver all cost differently and depends on where you live. If you want faster, you can ask PCCW if they support faster where you live. Call both companies and ask what speed options you have for your residence.

check the coverage first
    HKBN

is HKBN internet for doubling the speed or it's just like pccw netvigator ? because in my old house i have been using 8gb unlimited internet speed and i want to use faster internet.
    HKBN does not double anything. It's just a similar provider.
    I think you mean you got 8Mbit/s (not 8gbit/s!)
    Most power users go for 1gbit/s = 1000mbit/s

Most providers cover popular areas up to 100mbits/s, newer buildings up to 1000mbits/s.
    Older and isolated areas up to 8mbits/s.

PCCW has 2 kinds of 100mbits/s. Fibre and older Non-fibre.
    Non-fibre is almost always limited on upload to anywhere from 10mbits - 30mits/s (upload).
    All True-Fibre (wether PCCW or HKBN) has same upload=download speeds.

HKBN doesn't have non-fibre. This almost guarantees a pure fibre optic (non-hybrid) connection.
    CABLE has something called HFC (hybrid fibre coaxial) which is jargon for 'we replaced the cables outside your building with fibre, but left everything inside the same'. Therefore HFC is
    also limited on upload speeds.

Prices differ but on the whole PCCW is the most expensive followed by HKBN, followed by Cable.
    IMO, 8M was actually ok 10 years ago. These days you need about 50M. Anything more than 100M is wasteful considering that the international bottleneck is about 20M-30M. Ofcourse there are special circumstances.

[

i am on hkbn cheapest plan - for whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Simone:
    My friend got $14x offer for HKBN plan. It's cheapest than others.
    That's not bad for 100/100. HKBN offers cheaper discounts for online renewals. 3 years ago I was able to haggle $78 for 100/100 because they wanted market share. Since the company was sold, these days they are standing firm, so I switched over to i-cable for $113 @ 50/10. If you look at the street corner stands, they have now upped that to $13x but it's worth a try to haggle. They also dis-continued a previous 10/10 plan which was $99 at the start of 2015.

PCCW are comparitively more expensive, but a lot of people go for them because they think they are more reliable. When home wifi first came out, their lines would only work with their own wifi-routers and they were cheeky enough to charge extra for that, but not anymore, you can use your own router nowadays.