Like Tree14Likes

PCCW - no internet between 8pm and 11pm (roughly)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Katherine, may I know if you are using their wifi at home service (PCCW provides a router for you to use wifi at home)?
    Their router sucks. The signal could be poor due to insufficient wifi coverage of the router or like the other suggested wifi channel overlapping. Can you see if the router comes with a wifi antenna?

OK so we did some testing. We hooked up one computer directly to the PCCW modem via a cable connection; the other two via wifi and waited for 8pm. When the internet cut out on the wifi computers we went and tested the cable-connected one.. and ... it also cut out. It's not a wifi problem.

The PCCW man came and changed our modem yesterday - let's see if that helps.

However, I also talked to one of my neighbours and they are getting exactly the same problem, at exactly the same time of day. Their take was that we have a "bandwidth hogger" in the marina - some software that steals bandwidth. My neighbour thinks one of the kids has probably installed it and doesn't realise the impact. Does anyone know anything about these? Is is a credible idea and if yes is there any way to trace it or block it?

Do you have an AM radio? Use that to check if there is some low frequency electrical noise around that time.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Also try and ping the pccw DNS servers and see what your packet loss is around that time.

The almost precise timing of this signal loss makes me suspect a run away electrical noise source or yes, a bandwidth issue - but pccw should be able to pin point that as a lot of people would be complaining.

If there is a "bandwidth hogger", the only way to stop it is by PCCW. It's quite rare that your neighbours experienced the same problem at the exactly same time.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Also try and ping the pccw DNS servers and see what your packet loss is around that time.

The almost precise timing of this signal loss makes me suspect a run away electrical noise source or yes, a bandwidth issue - but pccw should be able to pin point that as a lot of people would be complaining.
    How do I do.this?

ping 205.252.144.126 (google how to ping an IP address depending on your operating system).

You should get a response that looks something like this:

64 bytes from 205.252.144.126: icmp_seq=0 ttl=56 time=13.727 ms
    64 bytes from 205.252.144.126: icmp_seq=1 ttl=56 time=13.642 ms
    ^C
    --- 205.252.144.126 ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.642/13.684/13.727/0.043 ms

HK_Katherine likes this.

It does seem to be improved since they switched the modem. Possibly PCCW just gave me a higher priority on their network because we keep complaining or something..... squeaky wheel and all that.