Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cwbguy
  • 1 Post By Cwbguy

HKBN or PCCW Home Broadband

Closed Thread

HKBN or PCCW Home Broadband

Hey Guys,

I am planning to switch to HKBN as they offer 1Gbps in my building as opposed to PCCW's 30Mbps. I am currently using NowTV but I want to cancel that as well as I barely use that. I am planning to switch to HKBN for both broadband and home telephone services.

I would like to know what you think about the quality of HKBN!

Thanks in advance

I use HKBN now. Great service. On the other hand, i-Cable was absolute rubbish, with regular dropped lines, requiring numerous service calls to i-Cable.

We ditched PCCW ~2 years ago and took HKBN 1Gbps service. It hasn't been down a single time since we have it. Speed is good but not amazing. Good price.

Ookla speedtest claims that we have 60 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Popular torrents typically download at ~1.5 MBps.

I swapped from PCCW to HKBB a couple of years ago when the best that PCCW could, and still do, offer was 8mbps to central Causeway Bay.

My contract with HKBB is up soon and they sent email requesting a 45% increase on monthly fee for next contract. They then called, I politely declined, and they call back an hour later offering new contract at less than I am paying now. Deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvdb:

Ookla speedtest claims that we have 60 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Popular torrents typically download at ~1.5 MBps.
    I pay for the 500 fibre service and oopla just now shows:
    xpearl likes this.

I am mainly considering HKBN because they are cheaper with better bandwidth. I would like to know if any of you use HKBN from Tung Chung. The reason I am planning to switch is I want a faster connection but not necessarily 1GBPS. As long as I can get 60-80Mbps from HKBN's 1GBPS offer, I believe I would be happy since my PCCW max limit is 30MBPS.

CWBguy, do you live in CWB or elsewhere?

And Cwbguy, can you please choose a western server on Speedtest and post the speedtest here. Would really appreciate that

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I pay for the 500 fibre service and oopla just now shows:
    Hmmm, I was convinced we had the 1Gbps packabe but maybe we settled for the 100 Mbps package!

Quote Originally Posted by xpearl:
    CWBguy, do you live in CWB or elsewhere?
    I am in Causeway Bay, close to Sogo.

I tested Philly, Quebec and Paris, results here.
    xpearl likes this.