Like Tree39Likes

Problem with NAS, or router.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Google's privacy polices are pretty good - our entire business runs on the Google Cloud. No guarantees that they will not change their policies, but given how closely they're monitored by various public and govt organisations, I sort of have some trust in them.

Have never used Microsoft, but at some point I expect their policies align with Google. But I treat them with more suspicion due to some past behavior that I was not a fan of (not privacy related... but predatory practices that almost destroyed a company I was involved with about 20+ years ago).

Facebook - different beast. I have mentioned to you .. I have not logged into my account in 2-3 years.

jgl and Mefisto like this.

I use Amazon Glacier for cloud backups because it's super cheap (US$0.004/GB/month). I backup around 300GB and only costs me $1 per month. The problem with the free ones like onedrive/google/etc (which I also have for other reasons) is they only have 10GB or 50GB or whatever but I have more data than this and then costs are higher and you have to pay eg for 1TB and I dont want that much I only have 300GB. With Glacier, you pay only for exactly what you use right down to the last kilobyte.

Bear in mind that retrieval costs are high with glacier. It's designed to backup your data and then never touch it unless your apartment burns down in a fire or something. You can only retrieve 10GB/month for free and then after that they charge a lot (or I have to wait 30 months to retrieve my entire 300GB for free). It's a backup of last resort.

Your privacy considerations are valid, although like shri says many of the worlds largest businesses are running on AWS these days and I think they have pretty decent privacy policv.

Also it works well with Synology and there is a package you can install on your NAS that does the backup automatically. I just set mine to backup once a week on a Sunday. Also set it to preserve originals or keep multiple copies of same file etc, so if I accidentally delete a file on NAS it does not delete on glacier, or if I get ransonware attacked and all my files are encrypted it keeps the previous originals on glacier. It's also quite secure, to link it with your Synology NAS you will need to generate ACCESS KEYS and SECRET KEYS using Amazon website and then put them into your Synology NAS.

Original Post Deleted
    No worries. If you go into your Synology package center, you will see a package called "Glacier Backup" you can install. Then separately you will need go to AWS website (link below) and create an account, generate secret keys, access keys etc. Then go back to your synology and link the two together.

Also somewhere along the line you will have to choose which Amazon data center you want to use. I use US(Oregon) because its 20% cheaper. $0.004/GB. If you choose somewhere closer like Singapore or Tokyo its $0.005/GB. It maybe faster but really for me not a concern. My weekly backup takes only a few seconds if I haven't added anything to the NAS in the previous week, or maybe an hour or so if I've uploaded a lot of photo's/video's etc but anyway runs in the background so I don't care how long it takes.

https://aws.amazon.com/
    shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    My NAS is a 2012 model and I've had this glacier thing setup and running perfectly for over 5 years now. Every week is just an incremental backup and I really don't notice the speed. But I do remember the first backup I did 5 years ago did take a really long time. Maybe a few weeks or something. But it really is something you just set and forget.

Also you can check and uncheck the directories you want to backup so no need to do all your movies and non-critical data.

Let me throw a potential problem at you.

If you have a bad drive, be aware that a backup will stress your drives (it will go through and read every single file that you have marked for backup)...

Just something you need to consider when dealing with random shit.

Let me throw a potential problem at you.

If you have a bad drive, be aware that a backup will stress your drives (it will go through and read every single file that you have marked for backup)...

Just something you need to consider when dealing with random shit.

Original Post Deleted
    Exactly. The glacier backups are incremental and automatically detects changes since the previous backup.
    jrkob likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    No glacier will not do that. If you have a bad disk, replace that disk and NAS will repair itself. Glacier backup will do nothing and still be fine.

Sorry!

What I meant was - if you have a disk that is dying or causing some random errors, repair that before you start a backup.

In my experience, a backup stresses the drives with lots of IO as it has to scan a ton of files... (there is a lot more a backup than just copying files - checksums need to be caculated for detecting changes / integrity). If you have a dodgy drive, chances of it failing during a backup are higher than under normal use.

Original Post Deleted
    If it were me, I'd prefer to use an Asia-based destination as in theory speed would be better. Singapore is .005.

Edit: Ignore that, I see that bdw has already been through this point.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast