Like Tree39Likes

Problem with NAS, or router.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Perfect, thanks guys. I will do as shri suggests then.
    The reason why I was putting my NAS to sleep after 5 minutes was to save my HDDs. But from what you guys are saying, with all the waking ups etc... this may not be true anyway.
    Right ?
    @shri, when you say "shut down", it this a complete shut down followed by a reboot the following morning, or you just put it to sleep mode ?

My NAS doesn't wake up when I start explorer, I need to go specifically to Network>Diskstation to make it wake up, and I'm on WIndows 10 too.
    Only when I click on Diskstation it wakes up.

flameproof - I suspect jrkob is not putting the lan to sleep (in that case, it would need a wake up lan type wake up and would take 5 mins plus) I suspect he is putting the HDs to sleep (stop spinning - which is something I don't like doing).
    @jrkob - sleep or shutdown - should be similar. I'm just old school .. best to shut down (although, technically not a full shutdown as it does consume some power and bits and pieces are always on to faciliate the wake up)

jgl

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    Perfect, thanks guys. I will do as shri suggests then.
    The reason why I was putting my NAS to sleep after 5 minutes was to save my HDDs. But from what you guys are saying, with all the waking ups etc... this may not be true anyway.
    Right ?
    @shri, when you say "shut down", it this a complete shut down followed by a reboot the following morning, or you just put it to sleep mode ?
    Having your hardware go into some kind of sleep mode is highly unlikely to have any measurable impact on disk life. My own disk failures have been more related to me treating the disks like crap (the ones which I use as sneakernet containers and get tossed into bags or my drawers). Otherwise I've got disks which have been up 24x7 for 5 years still running happily.

In the work environment, we've got loads of disks which have been running for 10+ years with no spindowns.

If anything, to me, the idea of frequently changing the state of the disk (spinning to not spinning) sounds like it would stress it more.

Oh, also, I did take a quick look at the Synology site. Looks like Synology NASes have a load of different states that might be referred to as sleep- there are various sleep modes and various hibernation modes. So not sure which one your device is entering. It probably doesn't matter though.

bdw

@jrkob there is a setting for this in your NAS. Go into "Hardware and Power" and there is an option "Ignore broadcasting packets from windows explorer"

Name:  synology.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  100.6 KB

emx likes this.

i think if you ignore the packets from Explorer, Explorer would keep waiting even longer for NAS to respond. Assuming NAS is mapped and the mapped drive is disconnected and Explorer is trying to reconnect

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    flameproof - I suspect jrkob is not putting the lan to sleep (in that case, it would need a wake up lan type wake up and would take 5 mins plus) I suspect he is putting the HDs to sleep (stop spinning - which is something I don't like doing)
    Yes I might have used the wrong semantic sorry about that. See below what I have, seems I meant "hibernate". @bdw, I cannot find the option you mention anywhere in the settings, I have the latest update. But anyway based on what you guys are saying, I'll just schedule a daily startup and shutdown. The slight issue though, is if for example I schedule to shutdown my NAS at say 11pm, and if I want to watch a movie using DSVideo on my iPad at say 12am, will the NAS "wake up" ? Basically I would like to retain the flexibility to wake up the NAS whenever I want.

Name:  NAS.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  125.5 KB

@jrkob what is the maximum Time limit for hibernate?

been a while .. but my config is in the "power schedule" not HDD hibernation.

Quote Originally Posted by nivantj
    @jrkob what is the maximum Time limit for hibernate?
    5 hours.

Ha, I see where you're going with this. So this means if I set it to 5 hours, in a "normal" day, at the most my HDDs would wake up only like 3-4 times at the most ?

jgl and shri seem not to like hibernation mode so I guess I should avoid it. is 3-4 times acceptable ? or should I just have a hard shut down.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast