Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 611121314
Like Tree32Likes

Problem with NAS, or router.

jgl, i've read a few times that the change in temperature which causes the boards to contract and expand shortens the life, several times during my career.

It is not high temperature that matters, it is the change in temperature that creates the unreliability...

ycchai likes this.

Thanks fellas.
    Given the above posts, logically I should turn off all energy saving features and just let my NAS run 24/7.
    Making me in the process an hypocrite given my comments on the bitcoin thread and the huge waste miners impose on the planet's resources.

Power consumption from a NAS is pretty trivial- the CPU is low power, hard drives are low power. I don't recall how many drives yours takes, but I'd be surprised if it pulled much more than 30W- it's like running a fan.

A high power number crunching machine is going to pulling easily more than ten times that just with a single GPU.

emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Power consumption from a NAS is pretty trivial- the CPU is low power, hard drives are low power. I don't recall how many drives yours takes, but I'd be surprised if it pulled much more than 30W- it's like running a fan.

A high power number crunching machine is going to pulling easily more than ten times that just with a single GPU.
    Yes I was half joking (but only half). And your numbers are spot on for my NAS !
    Rather than relying on the constructor's numbers, I post my WeMo's:
    - when doing nothing: 36W (exactly as you said)
    - when streaming a movie using DSVideo: 52W.

My NAS has 4 HDDs.

Name:  Screenshot_20171209-000638.png
Views: 45
Size:  230.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20171209-000813.png
Views: 41
Size:  233.6 KB
    jgl likes this.

I always want to read proper/real world drive reliability info, it's so hard to find. <<snip>>

I am quite picky about hard drive noise. I like ones that make sharp clicky noises, and dislike the ones that make shuffley noises. I realise this is weird. Then again, back when hard drives were new and exotic bits of hardware, I could tell the difference between brands by the smell of the solvents used on the controller boards, which might explain the 'weird'.
    you also run managed switches at home...

Your WEMO comes with a british plug? and you bought it locally in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by chichow
    Your WEMO comes with a british plug? and you bought it locally in Hong Kong?
    I bought it in HK (from HMV, many years ago), and it had a HK plug.

(I understand why you're saying this, I presume they have a "global" app... )

you also run managed switches at home...
    Doesn't everyone?
    chichow likes this.

Doesn't everyone?
    if at home you say you have a production LAN, a backup LAN, and an admin LAN then you are the King of OZ and I am the scarecrow.

if at home you say you have a production LAN, a backup LAN, and an admin LAN then you are the King of OZ and I am the scarecrow.
    Scarecrow,

those VLANs, plus, the WIFI/Entertainment VLAN (low security network). The VLAN Trunk over L2 VPN, with compression back to the other site.... But that is just me.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 611121314