Like Tree9Likes

Using Mobile Broadband instead of slow PCCW/HKT

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    I use SmartOne...

The plan is 6GB then unlimited for $450 per month.

It is extremely fast...and I use it all the time, even at home.

We will get rid of PCCW this month.

I still have it at my office...guess I'm too nervous to completely abandon broadband!

The unlimited bit...they say you might experience delays after the 6GB runs out...I have noticed it a couple of times but I'm not joking when I say it's a matter of seconds...the speed once connected is still 4G...

I've happily download gigabytes over my phone...
    6BG will last me about 3 days on our home connection.... I can't find any smartone plans that are unlimited after the 6GB, the ones I was looking at on their website have extra charges for extra MB so useless. I might go into a shop and ask though.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Mobile virtual network operator. I think VAVE is the one he is referring to. $238 per month for unlimited 4G on CSL network:

http://vave.com.hk/
    It's not unlimited...once you hit 10GB you're speed slows down to 384kbps (Still considerably faster than what HKKatherine achieves I expect!)...

10GB sounds like a lot until you start downloading video...

To add...not knocking VAVE...that actually could work very well for some people...
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Mobile virtual network operator. I think VAVE is the one he is referring to. $238 per month for unlimited 4G on CSL network:

http://vave.com.hk/
    OK so that one looks like you have to buy one month at a time (not a huge problem) BUT it says "P2P applications including BitTorrent are not supported".... which is problem Would it work if one installed a VPN as well do you think? But that would probable undo the speed.....

It's not unlimited...once you hit 10GB you're speed slows down to 384kbps (Still considerably faster than what HKKatherine achieves I expect!)...

10GB sounds like a lot until you start downloading video...

To add...not knocking VAVE...that actually could work very well for some people...
    We can get up to about 600kbps when it's working well. And zero when it's not. So it would be an option to keep PCCW and use this just when the PCCW is flat-lining......if I can get around the bit torrent restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    6BG will last me about 3 days on our home connection.... I can't find any smartone plans that are unlimited after the 6GB, the ones I was looking at on their website have extra charges for extra MB so useless. I might go into a shop and ask though.
    So I pay the extra for the real unlimited...as I say, in my experience, any reduction in service quality has been negligible....it hasn't been speed, it's been access and it's very occasional and not more than some seconds.

You can enjoy FUP Unlimited Data for an additional HK$148 per month when you subscribe to designated service plans with 6GB or more data. Under FUP (Fair Usage Policy), when monthly data usage reaches the plan’s data allowance, data service continues without speed throttling or data capping, but access to network resources will be given lower priority and data service experience may be affected.
    Service Plans - Mobiles & Service Plans - SmarTone
    HK_Katherine and dossier like this.

We can get up to about 600kbps when it's working well. And zero when it's not. So it would be an option to keep PCCW and use this just when the PCCW is flat-lining......if I can get around the bit torrent restriction.
    600 would be me at top speed (PCCW)...Saturdays and Sundays we can be at 50kbps...I feel your pain!

OK - so it's worth a try - but where do I get one? I just search their website and there is no information at all! And I assume I need a 4G wifi router too if I want to connect my home computer to it...... any suggestions for the best one of those?

600 would be me at top speed (PCCW)...Saturdays and Sundays we can be at 50kbps...I feel your pain!
    It didn't used to be this bad. When we first had it, we were getting 700-800 pretty much all the time. But the last two years or so it's deteriorated horribly. Have you experienced the same? I believe you live "close by" LOL.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

We've never been able to stream on the fly. We already download and watch.... But they tend to appear during the day and then I want to watch in the evening... right now it's 20 mins to download a low res version of a 45 min show. It's dire.
    Yes, that's what I was getting at.
    For example, it is possible to remotely add things to download, have them download and be ready by the time you're home... there are heaps of ways of achieving this, some manual, some automatic - all require a certain level of geekery

OK - so it's worth a try - but where do I get one? I just search their website and there is no information at all! And I assume I need a 4G wifi router too if I want to connect my home computer to it...... any suggestions for the best one of those?
    You know where Fortress, Suning, etc are in Tuen Mun Plaza? Street level, near the taxi ranks...SmartOne is in there among those shops.

I use a my phone as the modem! Phone needs to be 4G...