Like Tree2Likes

Recommend me a router

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a D-Link powerline adapter with WiFi at the remote end. It works very, very well and I get full speed, for about 10 Minutes. Then it stalls, probably getting too hot.

Conclusion, Powerline is really good, but stay away from D-Link.

What is Powerline? It's sending data through the 220V net in your place. It works best (only?) when both power sockets are on the same circuit.

Name:  HP-5102-Diagram.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  321.7 KB

Been quite happy with TP Link's Power Line Adaptors - needs a reset every few months (1-2 times a year).

AV500 3-port Mini Powerline Adapter Starter Kit TL-PA4030KIT - Welcome to TP-LINK

i ran my cat-5 cables outside the apartment to contact the two floors.

Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Been quite happy with TP Link's Power Line Adaptors - needs a reset every few months (1-2 times a year)
    Same here... they work very well. We first bought a set (1 'master' to connect to your router + 1 'slave' to put in some other room). Later on we bought 1 extra slave (to put in yet another room). So, you can extend your network gradually and only need a single master device connected to your router which can talk to multiple slaves. It wasn't clear to me from the limited documentation if there is a (practical) limit to the number of slaves per master.

Definitely Run Ethernet Cables and put on 1st and 3rd floors w same SSID

Run Ethernet between the floors! This is so much better, and much more secure. Then, you can have an Access Point (AP) on each floor, or on 1st and 3rd floor. You can use the same SSID and password (but be sure they are set to different channels, ideal to use a WiFi analysis tool to find the channels available that your neighbors are not using). Many home WiFi Routers can be re-configured to use as an AP: that's what I've done, in the same situation (3-story village house in Fotan, Shatin).

If you need help to install the Ethernet cables, send me a PM.

Best wishes!

i have had a great experience with my Asus RT-AC3200 Triplex-Band Wireless Gigabit Router, give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenChan:
    Having a single router with the power to reach all three floors could be a health concern (some reports say yes, some say no, so never sure). I'd rather find a solution to have 3 weak routers and minimise the radiation.
    This is really implausible given a moment's thought.

First of all, you won't find a router that will work across three floors- even if it was super powerful, the computer on the other floors still has to have enough transmit power to reach back to the router.

Secondly, routers are limited by legislation to how much transmit power they can have.

Thirdly, any radiation source (like a lightbulb, the sun, a router) follows an inverse square law so using your mobile phone zaps your brain with more EMR at the same wavelengths as a router, unless the router is glued to your head, you should worry more about using your mobile phone.

Don't treat all 'reports' as equal. Do a little critical thinking instead.
    Last edited by jgl; 10-10-2015 at 12:37 PM.
    timonoj likes this.

I'm using a unifi longrange by ubiquitous - my apartment has 2 floors and this is the only wifi unit that I know of that can do more than 1 floor comfortably - cost is HKD1,100 though but very good signal

This is a great approach for solving this problem. I may check it out. For the original poster, do you have more than one electric meter in your village house? We have three floors, each with a separate meter, which means the electrical system may not be directly connected to allow the signal flow between the floors of our village house.

Quote Originally Posted by AdobeTeachet:
    This is a great approach for solving this problem. I may check it out. For the original poster, do you have more than one electric meter in your village house? We have three floors, each with a separate meter, which means the electrical system may not be directly connected to allow the signal flow between the floors of our village house.
    That's a good question and I'll leave that for someone else to answer because I didn't use this method, ended up getting a router which covers two floors pretty well