Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By 100LL

1Password discount

Closed Thread

1Password discount

As I am sure many of you might have heard, LastPass has been sold to LogMeIn:

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/10/la...-logmein.html/

This hasn't gone down too well with quite a lot of users, especially because of LogMeIn's history of not the best customer services.

1Password is playing on this, and is presently offering a 40% discount on its services:

https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/10/0...security-sale/

emx likes this.

1Password discount

Thanks. I was considering moving to 1Password, but now I am more wondering if I shouldn't go for KeePass instead.

KeePass is not a company, it's an OpenSource solution. This seems more long-term than moving to 1Password, until they give me a reason to move away from them as well.

Also, with KeePass I control my data, its not in some third party cloud (it supports syncing via normal cloud accounts such as DropBox, Google Drive, Box or OwnCloud/WebDAV though in an encrypted format of course).

Test setup and export from LastPass to KeePass was quick. Haven't tested the browser and sync yet...

Last edited by 100LL; 13-10-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Does it let you sync to your mobile device as well?

So what happens if I'm on say a friend's computer and want to buy something on amazon? Do I need to login with a secure password that I would never remember or is there a way of getting the password from a browser?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Does it let you sync to your mobile device as well?
    Yes it does. Even when data is stored locally.

I sync my macs, iPads, iPhones all locally with 1password.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    So what happens if I'm on say a friend's computer and want to buy something on amazon? Do I need to login with a secure password that I would never remember or is there a way of getting the password from a browser?
    Pull out your phone and open 1Password. You can access all your login data there.

Works with Touch ID too.

I tried KeePass more in the meantime. It's meant well and has a ton of features. You could probably spend a week just tweaking it and trying the different things like triggers and browser plugins. This is probably also the biggest negative at the moment. Sometimes less is more as we say back home.

It syncs great with multiple computers but it has no real sync with mobile device at the moment (you can manually sync/import) and probably wouldn't be very usable for the one who doesn't know computers and security concepts so well... big plus for allowing me to use my ownCloud (tested) or WebDAV (ie. Synology NAS), so I don't need a public cloud. I actually don't mind having the data in the cloud since it's encrypted, and I prefer it over manually syncing (which would be one more thing to worry about). Slightly annoying is that KeeFox (the Firefox Plugin) wouldn't for instance fill in the password for an ASUS router, while LastPass would. I am sure you can get it to work with some setting change or some scripting, but I've already spent way to much time for this and if this is a preview of what's coming frequently I'd rather prefer a commercial solution that just works.

Sticking with LastPass for the moment. 1Password sounds tempting, but it requires iCloud or Dropbox for anything else than Wifi sync. I am trying to free myself of the public clouds but I am slowly starting to wonder if that's even possible long term (resistance is futile so to speak) so maybe it doesn't matter.

Long story short: if you like geeky stuff and secure things, try KeePass and you are in full control of your passwords and what happens to them. It will be free, but you'll need to spend some time.

KeePass Password Safe

If you just want a fast solution that works (for now), LastPass, 1Password or some of the other commercial ones are probably a faster start.

Last edited by 100LL; 14-10-2015 at 07:31 PM.